• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Represent myself (Utah)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tcross22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. Last February I was busted with weed and a pipe and got a possession of controlled substance, and possession of Paraphernalia both class B Misdemeanors. I've been putting off sentencing for a while to try and get an attorney but I can not afford an attorney and I want to try and represent myself. I have court in the middle of august and will take the sentencing then. What can I do?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I have court in the middle of august and will take the sentencing then.
So you are going to court for sentencing? That means your case has already been adjudicated. It's a little late now to worry about what to do.

Tcross22

Ask for a public defender. Don't be foolish enough to try to represent yourself.
I have tried to get a public defender but did not qualify because i make too much money. I'm going to try again because i have gone through a job change since then but since I am working 2 jobs right now i'm afraid i wont qualify.

Tcross22

So you are going to court for sentencing? That means your case has already been adjudicated. It's a little late now to worry about what to do.
I am sorry I may have said that wrong i'm still awaiting pretrial I believe. I have not been sentenced to anything. I have not recieved a fine or probation yet.

You Are Guilty

Well, it is your Constitutional right to do so.

And, for whatever its worth, I have this hernia and I can't afford a doctor, so I'm going to give it the ole college try and fix it myself (amazing what you can find on YouTube these days). I'll let you know how it works out if you do the same.

justalayman

I am sorry I may have said that wrong i'm still awaiting pretrial I believe. I have not been sentenced to anything. I have not recieved a fine or probation yet.
If your financial situation has changed for the worse, reapply for a PD. The worst that is going to happen is you get turned down.

Other than that, you really need to start talking to some attorneys. Some will accept payment plans.

Tcross22

Well, it is your Constitutional right to do so.

And, for whatever its worth, I have this hernia and I can't afford a doctor, so I'm going to give it the ole college try and fix it myself (amazing what you can find on YouTube these days). I'll let you know how it works out if you do the same.
Is insurance not covering it?

Tcross22

If your financial situation has changed for the worse, reapply for a PD. The worst that is going to happen is you get turned down.

Other than that, you really need to start talking to some attorneys. Some will accept payment plans.
I have talked to attorney's and they won't go without 600 dollars down and then they will set up payments for the rest of it.

Tcross22

Yeah but i work two jobs and I owe my family money and i'm in debt up to my neck. I'm not across this money and have court next week. looks like i'm just gonna get ****ed.

justalayman

Yeah but i work two jobs and I owe my family money and i'm in debt up to my neck. I'm not across this money and have court next week. looks like i'm just gonna get ****ed.
well, it is up to you to provide your own lube. If you choose not to, then it speaks volumes about what you enjoy. :eek:;)

Mass_Shyster

Well, you won't be working two jobs if you end up in jail, will you? I bet that will end up costing you a lot more than whatever the lawyer wants.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...and considering that the OP performed/is performing this act on himself...well, color me impressed.

Patse3839

Smoken' in the boys room

if you want to represent yourself - it is your right; just think, with prison comes free meals, room and board, limited TV and lots of boyfriends

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">