• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a "Request for a Reduction of Criminal Charges a wise idea?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brazen

I am a canadian citizen and I have received an appearance ticket. My charge is "Unlawful Possession of Marijuana." (I had under 2 grams) They have sent me a Request for Reduction of Criminal Charges. However I'm not sure if it would be wiser to just appear or should I submit a request. I'm not sure what I face if convicted. Will I have a criminal record for which I will eventually need to get a pardon for and will I still be able to enter the US?
Does anyone know...Which would be the best way to proceed?

Last edited:

CdwJava

I am a canadian citizen and I have received an appearance ticket. My charge is "Unlawful Possession of Marijuana." (I had under 2 grams) They have sent me a Request for Reduction of Criminal Charges. However I'm not sure if it would be wiser to just appear or should I submit a request. I'm not sure what I face if convicted. Will I have a criminal record for which I will eventually need to get a pardon for and will I still be able to enter the US?
Does anyone know...Which would be the best way to proceed?
Was this for an act that happened in the United States?

If so, in what state did this occur and what statute number have you been charged under?

- Carl

dave33

This applies only to u.s. You have to be careful, there is sentence reduction and sentence modification. In many states your sentence can also be increased.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">