• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of my Housemates while I'm on Probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mygodishendrix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY, but was charged in PA

I recently got caught with a Drug charge in PA, but have had a lawyer lucky enough to finagle what is referred to as section 17 expungement (which means compliance with drug programs, 6 mo- 1 yr. probation, then I get record expungement, .) I've been going to treatment, complying with all legal advice given, AA and NA every day, have been totally clean and never failed a drug test, but I know for a fact on Nov. 12th- which is my sentencing - they will give me a PO- at first out of state, then they'll transfer me to someone in-state. I'm worried about my roommates, as they are all of age and occasionally drink in the house. Is their room allowed to be searched should a PO come unannounced (or announced?)

Best

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY, but was charged in PA

I recently got caught with a Drug charge in PA, but have had a lawyer lucky enough to finagle what is referred to as section 17 expungement (which means compliance with drug programs, 6 mo- 1 yr. probation, then I get record expungement, .) I've been going to treatment, complying with all legal advice given, AA and NA every day, have been totally clean and never failed a drug test, but I know for a fact on Nov. 12th- which is my sentencing - they will give me a PO- at first out of state, then they'll transfer me to someone in-state. I'm worried about my roommates, as they are all of age and occasionally drink in the house. Is their room allowed to be searched should a PO come unannounced (or announced?)

Best
They just might be, especially if it's known that you have access to their rooms whether or not they are home.

Part of having a criminal history and being on probation means you have to expose your friends and family to many of the same consequences that you have, including being subjected to random searches and such.

If you are underage, then I suggest that you move in with other roommates who won't expose you to things you're not allowed to be around. If you choose to remain with the same bunch of roommates, then I would recommend that they do their drinking OUTSIDE the house or have the alcohol locked up and out of your reach when they aren't around.

justalayman

I'm worried about my roommates, as they are all of age and occasionally drink in the house. Is their room allowed to be searched should a PO come unannounced (or announced?)

Best
why would you be worried about your roommates unless they are violating some law? They have to realize that allowing you to live there can subject their rooms to searches in some situations. If they do not wish to be concerned with that, they need to tell you to move on down the road.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">