• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roomates and drug use question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melle

What is the name of your state? Georgia

If I'm renting an apartment with 2 other people, and one of them uses weed, am I and my other roomate going to get into trouble if the police find weed in our apartment? If we insist that he keep his "stuff" only in his bedroom, would we still be liable then? Thank you very much.

outonbail

What is the name of your state? Georgia

If I'm renting an apartment with 2 other people, and one of them uses weed, am I and my other roomate going to get into trouble if the police find weed in our apartment? If we insist that he keep his "stuff" only in his bedroom, would we still be liable then? Thank you very much.
Whenever you are around illegal drugs and the people who use them, there is always a possibility that you could get tangled up in their legal troubles.
Living in a home where people regularly use illegal drugs will greatly increase the chances of this happening. In fact, living in the same home, your question shouldn't be to ask "if" it happens, but rather "when" it happens.

FlyingRon

While you won't be in trouble for their USE of drugs, the presence of drugs in your apartment may get you in trouble. "Those don't belong to me" isn't a compelling defense to a posession charge.

Melle

Thank you both so much. I have had misgivings about this apartment arrangement ever since they suggested it to me (we haven't taken the apartment yet, it's just in the talking stage) but I am going to tell them to find someone else. They are my friends but I don't need nor want legal drama in my life.
Your comments have really helped my decision. I really do appreciate your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">