• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommates want to grow marijuana/ i'm against it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jds2006

What is the name of your state? CA

My roommates are thinking about growing marijuana in our apartment but I'm against it because our neighbors have already called the cops twice for our noise levels and I do not want to be charged as an accomplice if they do grow it and get caught.

So I have a couple questions:
1) If they get caught for growing marijuana, can I go to jail with them for knowing that they're growing marijuana even though I took no part of growing or selling it?

2) Since all of our names are on the lease and if they do decide to grow it, is there any way I can stop them from growing it? I guess I can stop them from growing it since I'm the one who pays the electricity bills, and if I cease to stop paying the electricity bills then they wouldn't be able to grow it. But if I do that then I'd be stuck without electricity..

Edit:

I have another question. Right now they aren't growing or dealing marijuana but they do have little jars of marijuana for their own personal use in their rooms. If they get caught having marijuana, could I also get charged with being in possession of marijuana even if they aren't mine or in my room?

Last edited:

CdwJava

So I have a couple questions:
1) If they get caught for growing marijuana, can I go to jail with them for knowing that they're growing marijuana even though I took no part of growing or selling it?
Yes, you CAN get charged with the related crimes. Plus, you can get evicted from the apartment. And if your name is on the lease, and the growers paid any rent, utilities, or bills ostensibly from the proceeds of the sales, you might be charged for dealing as well as cultivation.

2) Since all of our names are on the lease and if they do decide to grow it, is there any way I can stop them from growing it? I guess I can stop them from growing it since I'm the one who pays the electricity bills, and if I cease to stop paying the electricity bills then they wouldn't be able to grow it. But if I do that then I'd be stuck without electricity..
Yeah, you can stop them! Tell them not to do it or you will call the cops! If they scoff at you, GET OUT! Tell the manager, get your name off the lease, do something to avoid getting hit with the same penalty they might get stuck with.

- Carl

one word...move.

these are not good room mates and YES you are as guilty as they are if caught.
You know this and that is why you are here.

They are being foolish.

tranquility

The law is difficult, but stand up for what you believe in. Make a stink. Tell you roomates, NO! While I don't think drugs are evil, I do think each person has a right to decide. You've decided NO, so NO. You will be clearly liable if the police come knocking, so you can use that as an excuse. But you don't really need an excuse, do you? State what you believe and someday, maybe, the scourage will be removed from society. That's what it takes, people deciding they don't want to be involved with such things. Not because they are illegal, but because they aren't....whatever you think they aren't. That's what it is all about. Stand up for what you believe.

alcove

Hey, I'm also from CA, and I'm in a similar situation. My roommates are thinking of growing some pot (no selling, personal use only), and if there ever was some legal trouble, I'm worried about getting mixed up in their situation. This thread has been really helpful, but I have a couple of additional questions:

1) If the plant is being grown in somebody's room, i.e. not in a common area, are the rest of us still at risk of facing charges? (I realize this question has basically been answered already, but I want to be thorough.)

2) Is the situation any different if one of the guys has a cannabis club card?

CdwJava

1) If the plant is being grown in somebody's room, i.e. not in a common area, are the rest of us still at risk of facing charges? (I realize this question has basically been answered already, but I want to be thorough.)
Yes, you can all get into trouble. Whether you will all be convicted is not something I can say with certainty, but is it worth the risk?

2) Is the situation any different if one of the guys has a cannabis club card?
You can still get in trouble. A "cannabis club card" is essentially worthless. Only a county issued medical marijuana card can exempt him from arrest under state guidelines. Any other document provides for an affirmative defense, but does not necessarily protect him from arrest. And if anyone else uses it, or sales occur, then you can potentially be charged.

My recommendation: Either move out, or put an attorney on retainer.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">