• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

scared-possession marijuana less oz State GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scared

Short Story: I went on trip with two other friends in the state of GA. We got separated and one of my "friends" left her purse/bag in my trunk. I got stopped for speeding and received warning. However, the officer's k-9 started barking so they asked to search my car. Well, I didn't know I should have any problems with the search. However, the "friend" that left her purse in my car also left marijuana in the purse. I told the officer it was not mine and I didn't know it was there. I now understand I am accountable for everything in my car. The officer said if my "friend" went to court with me and took responsibility I would be ok. My friend agreed that night but now all has changed. On a side note, the other friend with me in the car later told me she was sorry because she knew the other girl had it in her purse. Main issue I am the person stuck with possession. I am going to see an attorney this week. Any advise is appreciated.

seniorjudge

scared said:
Short Story: I went on trip with two other friends in the state of GA. We got separated and one of my "friends" left her purse/bag in my trunk. I got stopped for speeding and received warning. However, the officer's k-9 started barking so they asked to search my car. Well, I didn't know I should have any problems with the search. However, the "friend" that left her purse in my car also left marijuana in the purse. I told the officer it was not mine and I didn't know it was there. I now understand I am accountable for everything in my car. The officer said if my "friend" went to court with me and took responsibility I would be ok. My friend agreed that night but now all has changed. On a side note, the other friend with me in the car later told me she was sorry because she knew the other girl had it in her purse. Main issue I am the person stuck with possession. I am going to see an attorney this week. Any advise is appreciated.
Yes, that is a really old story.

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat. (Smokers...pot or tobacco...literally stink. Remember that before you head for court.)

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and that the ticket not go on your record, if applicable. Ask also about getting a hardship driving permit, if applicable.

From marbol:

“Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room.

If you have a ‘vibrate’ position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR it VIBRATE!

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings.”

(Better yet, don’t carry your cell phone into the courtroom.)

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.” Or, another variation: “I was forced into it by a bad guy!”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender’s advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

scared

Scared-GA possession

Thanks Senior Judge. What part is the "old story"? The "it is not mine" or "my friend not following through on her committment"?

Happy Trails

In Georgia possession of less than one ounce of marijuana is a misdemeanor and can be punished by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

However, upon a first drug conviction the offender may be placed on probation, and if you complete it successfully the proceedings against you may be discharged.

seniorjudge

Happy Trails said:
In Georgia possession of less than one ounce of marijuana is a misdemeanor and can be punished by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

However, upon a first drug conviction the offender may be placed on probation, and if you complete it successfully the proceedings against you may be discharged.
And you may need penicillin to clear up that discharge....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">