• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Search and Seizure, chance at suppression?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kb8kobe86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

New Jersey
I am a New Jersey resident and I was recently arrested for Possession of marijuana (8 ounces), and Intent to distribute, I was also cited for Possession of A CDS (the previously mentioned marijuana) and Loud/Deffective Exhaust, as well as Obstruction of View.
I’m assuming the reason for the pullover would have to be the loud/defective exhaust (my exhaust is stock and there is nothing wrong with it), or the obstruction of view (the radar detector is low on my windshield and my back windshield has dark (but legal) tints (my windows don’t have tints), I know for a fact the officer could not have seen this until he (The stop was at midnight , very dark)
A. Pulled me over and put his spotlight on or
B. Came up to the car and noticed it
So I would think there is no reason for a pullover, would I be correct in this presumption? I think discovery will show this and my lawyer has already put in a petition for discovery.
Do they have to turn in the video tape, or do they have the right to withhold it?
Next they pulled me out of the car and started searching, at this point they read me my Miranda rights… after the search of the interior of the car yielded nothing they pressed the trunk button located next to the steering wheel and popped my trunk. They obviously then located the 8 ounces of weed which was in a backpack. I was then arrested and brought to the station where they printed me, took photos, and took down general information. They didn’t ask any incriminating questions so that I couldn’t ask for a lawyer and they told me multiple times not to call a lawyer (quite the opposite of what they said during Miranda) and they tried to get me to give up other people saying it would benefit me (Which I did not). They still have my car in possession which I know they are allowed to keep unless I win this case.
Based on what I have told you (exactly what happened) Do you think I have a chance at having this evidenced suppressed? I would say my stronger argument is that there was no cause for a pullover, as the search of the trunk the police I would assume could always say they smelled marijuana which would be probable cause.
The day prior I had been pulled over and my registration was expired, I was cited for this and that was it they didn’t search or anything (Different cop, not a hardass). The very next day I updated my registration so that everything was current. When they pulled me over the first thing they did before pulling me out of the car was ask if my registration was current, which I replied yes and offered them the valid card. My insurance was also current as well as the inspection and license. He then asked if I satisfied a warrant which I had in another town to which I replied yes and produced the recipet for the previously unpaid ticket.They than had me raise my windows to show that I didn’t have illegal front tints (Which I don’t have any tints on the windows, only my back windshield which is legal). It seems to me they were just searching for a reason to pull me over (They originally didn’t state one).
Obviously I made an error in judgement, although I realize weed is illegal, I don’t see it as morally wrong, I don’t drink or engage in any hard drugs, I just use weed quite often, one could say it is my vice. I smoke a half ounce per day and I buy a half pound about every two weeks, I didn’t plan on distributing any of this weed, if I buy in quantity I can get the price to break down to 325 an ounce whereas if I bought them by the single it would be 425.
Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated as my lawyer says there is a good chance for suppression, but I Think lawyers just view clients as dollar signs, so of course he would say that. My lawyer is the best criminal defense attorney in the state (Robert Galantucci). This is my first offense.
Basically I just want to know if I have a chance of having this suppressed and if my stronger argument is the pull over or the search and seizure, Thanks a lot.

The Occultist

We'll need to know what's in the officer's notes so we know the reasons behind the stop and the search.

Also, if you have a lawyer, please indulge me: what did he say when you asked him this question?

outonbail

I smoke a half ounce per day and I buy a half pound about every two weeks
Holy Be-Jesus Batman, why in the hell would anyone have to smoke a half ounce of marijuana a day?:eek:
What's that work out to in joints, about two an hour? Bong hits, one every seven minutes?
How many boxes of chocolate donuts do you go through a day?

Either you're buying some really low grade, low potency marijuana, or the zig zag man should have a tattoo of you on his shoulder!

As far as your search goes, did the officers ask permission to search and if so, what did you tell them?
Or, in light of the fact that you smoke half an ounce a day, did they just smell the marijuana oozing from your pores and wreaking from your clothes and go from there?

justalayman

=outonbail;2064988]Holy Be-Jesus Batman, why in the hell would anyone have to smoke a half ounce of marijuana a day?:eek:
What's that work out to in joints, about two an hour? Bong hits, one every seven minutes?
sounds like you are a bit too knowledgable of this subject OOB.
Either you're buying some really low grade, low potency marijuana, or the zig zag man should have a tattoo of you on his shoulder!
Funny. Extremely funny.

As far as your search goes, did the officers ask permission to search and if so, what did you tell them?
Or, in light of the fact that you smoke half an ounce a day, did they just smell the marijuana oozing from your pores and wreaking from your clothes and go from there?
Oh come on now. Nobody can smell this on a person that smokes. ;)

kb8kobe86

We'll need to know what's in the officer's notes so we know the reasons behind the stop and the search.

Also, if you have a lawyer, please indulge me: what did he say when you asked him this question?
The lawyer and I haven't yet recieved discovery so I don't know what is in his notes.

The lawyer said that only about 1/10 cases have their motion for suppression granted, but that if mine happened the way I say it did he thinks there is a good chance. He warned however that cops like to put their own spin on things, and that hopefully discovery comes with the video and it corroborates everything I say.

kb8kobe86

Holy Be-Jesus Batman, why in the hell would anyone have to smoke a half ounce of marijuana a day?:eek:

Lol, well in most cases I smoke with 3-4 other people, I rarely smoke alone so only about 3.5-5 grams of that goes to my head every day. I smoke a blunt (a gutted cigar filled with marijuana usually containing 1.5-2 grams) probably about every hour or so if I'm not at work. While at work I will usually smoke half of a blunt on breaks and spray cologne before returning. I'd say on average I go through 7 blunts a day, maybe a bit less on weekdays and a bit more on weekends. I don't smoke ciggerates at all, I rarely drink...like I said this is my vice and I know it.

The pot I smoke is actually very potent, while not stoned I seem to snap easily if people do things that annoy me, if stoned I let it roll over my shoulders....I have tried to change my behavoirs without the aid of marijuana however it works in spurts and then I snap, then I realize I snap try to correct it...it works temporarily, then right back to the attitude. I'm sure there is a better way but I dont believe in prescription drugs or smoking ciggerates and this is what has worked for me...

The officer never asked for permission to search, had he I obviously would have said no that I didn't have the time.

tranquility

I didn’t plan on distributing any of this weed, if I buy in quantity I can get the price to break down to 325 an ounce whereas if I bought them by the single it would be 425.
Actually, you did intend to distribute it. Not only that, you admitted it on the internet.

Lol, well in most cases I smoke with 3-4 other people, I rarely smoke alone so only about 3.5-5 grams of that goes to my head every day.
This is legal distribution every bit as much as you selling it to them in little baggies.

outonbail

sounds like you are a bit too knowledgable of this subject OOB.
I wasn't always the sober citizen I am these days, but it's been about thirty years since I bought a pack of rolling papers.

To the OP, I don't know what you do for work, but I hope you're not working with any machinery or equipment that can injure you or worse yet, someone around you, because I just don't see smoking pot at work as being acceptable and never did.
If you can't make it through eight hours without smoking a joint, you have some serious issues that need dealing with.

You Are Guilty

If you can't make it through eight hours without smoking a joint, you have some serious issues that need dealing with.
Check the math - it's not "a" joint :eek:

OP, you may really want to consider what a jury is going to think when they hear how much weed you buy/use. If they're anything like the folks here, they're not going to believe it was all for one person. That's a lot of weed...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">