• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking some information...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MARL745

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hello. My family member was arrested a few days ago for illegal drug activity. While Im sad to see him in this situation, Im also glad he isnt causing anymore harm in the communities where others have to live and thrive. Im hoping whatever happens to him causes him to turn his life around. At any rate, Im trying to lessen the blow to his mother and be equipped with as much information as possible as we are left to try and clean up his mess. On the fulton county website I see he currently faces 6 charges....
1)Poss of a firearm in commission of a felony
2)Poss of a firearm by a convicted felon
3)Trafficking Cocaine
4)Obstruction Leo(Not sure what that means)
5)Poss of marijuana w/ intent to distribute
6)Poss of cocaine w/ intent to distribute...
There is a category that says disposition next to each charge, and each charge has "BONDABLE CHARGE" under the Disposition category except charge 6. It says "ORDER OF DISMISSAL". Can anyone explain what "ORDER OF DISMISSAL" means? Im assuming that charge is being thrown out but wanna be sure before I let his mother know. Also, can you provide any information on how much time he could face with these charges?

He is a convicted felon, has already served 2 or 3 years for drug charges in past. So I know this isnt going to turn out well for him. Im just trying to get an idea of just how bad. Thank you very much and I appreciate any information that can be provided to me!

FlyingRon

Obstructing LEO is shorthand for " knowingly and willfully obstructs or hinders any law enforcement officer in the lawful discharge of his official duties." If he threatened or did violence (and the gun would lend me to believe he did) it's a felony.

Yes I think it does mean charge #6 was dismissed (doesn't mean it can't be refiled).
That same report will indicate actual acquitals and convictions eventually. I suspect it means that they are secure on the trafficking charge, which depending on the amount could mean a mandatory MINIMUM term of ten to twenty five years.

Yes, it's not going to turn out well. Was he still under parole or probation for the first round of felonies?

The trafficking charge is the biggie. The others are felonies bringing 1-5 years EACH.

MARL745

Obstructing LEO is shorthand for " knowingly and willfully obstructs or hinders any law enforcement officer in the lawful discharge of his official duties." If he threatened or did violence (and the gun would lend me to believe he did) it's a felony.

Yes I think it does mean charge #6 was dismissed (doesn't mean it can't be refiled).
That same report will indicate actual acquitals and convictions eventually. I suspect it means that they are secure on the trafficking charge, which depending on the amount could mean a mandatory MINIMUM term of ten to twenty five years.

Yes, it's not going to turn out well. Was he still under parole or probation for the first round of felonies?

The trafficking charge is the biggie. The others are felonies bringing 1-5 years EACH.
OMG...This is going to devastate his mother! No he wasnt under parole or probation as he has been out for about 4 or 5 years. However, he got into another situation last year, which was a bonehead move on his part and its going to hurt him now. To explain, last year he was driving his vehicle with expired license plates, there was a person in the car with him, they were pulled over, and his passeneger had crack cocaine on him and threw it up under the seat. They were both charged with some type of possession I believe. He was just beating the case as we speak, and apparently was given 1 year of probation and 400 hours of community service. He is supposed to go to court Tuesday Jan 20th, and I think that was just to wrap up the charge(again Im just being told information so I am not sure why he was to go to court Tuesday if he was already sentenced to probation and comm. service). With this current arrest, & no money to bail him out($4300!!!!!), he is going to miss court Tuesday and will probably have awarrant issued for his arrest!!!!!

The probation case is in a different county than where he was currently arrested so I dont know what they are going to do if he wont be in court on Tuesday? Any suggestions or insight about that?

FlyingRon

He should have informed his probation officer about that violation, but VOP on that charge is kids stuff compared to his other problems. They may revoke the probation so they can hold him in jail however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">