• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling Glass Pipes Online Legally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lampworker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I make glass pipes(including water pipes) and sell them wholesale to stores in California, this is currently done in person. I would like to start an invitation only password protected website to sell my pipes online. Only customers that I am already doing business with will be able to use the site so there is no chance of selling to a minor. I have thoroughly read 21 USC Code Section 863 which seems to indicate I can't do this, but I see lots of businesses doing it which makes me think it is possible. My questions:
1. Can I legally sell glass pipes online and ship them within California?
2. If so, is there any legal difference between using USPS or UPS/Fedex?
3. Are there any specific restrictions or guidelines that would apply?
4. What about shipping out of state?
Thanks

davew128

Not seeing anyone referred to here who is either rich or truly famous. I think his daughter is more well known than he is and she's a D lister.

lampworker

As I understand it the Tommy Chong(Operation Pipedreams) case is different in 2 respects from what I am interested in doing:
1. Interstate shipping and thus a federal matter.
2. Pennsylvania's laws are more strict than California's where Chong had been doing business without problems.

I believe that Chong wouldn't have had any problems if he had not shipped to PA. I'm no expert though, which is why I'm asking for advice.

I'd get a real attorney with real experience in the industry and pay him money to answer.
Any advice on finding such an attorney? How much do you think I'd have to spend to find out?

Last edited:

tranquility

Dave's not here.

For an old guy like me, Chong is well known. Anyone in high school in the 70s who couldn't quote from a Cheech & Chong skit was seriously uncool. You uncool davew128? Or, just younger?

I believe that Chong wouldn't have had any problems if he had not shipped to PA. I'm no expert though, which is why I'm asking for advice
I gave it to you. See an attorney. If you're wrong, you will lose everything--including your freedom and right to not call yourself a convicted felon.

justalayman

As I understand it the Tommy Chong(Operation Pipedreams) case is different in 2 respects from what I am interested in doing:
1. Interstate shipping and thus a federal matter.
2. Pennsylvania's laws are more strict than California's where Chong had been doing business without problems.

I believe that Chong wouldn't have had any problems if he had not shipped to PA. I'm no expert though, which is why I'm asking for advice.

Any advice on finding such an attorney? How much do you think I'd have to spend to find out?
Chong went to prison after being convicted of FEDERAL laws, not Pennsylvania's. The fed agents happen to have been operating in PA but that was to ensure the sales were made across state lines and as such, invoked the powers of the federal government to act.

NellieBly

Dave's not here.

For an old guy like me, Chong is well known. Anyone in high school in the 70s who couldn't quote from a Cheech & Chong skit was seriously uncool. You uncool davew128? Or, just younger?

I gave it to you. See an attorney. If you're wrong, you will lose everything--including your freedom and right to not call yourself a convicted felon.
Goodness, even I saw Up In Smoke, despite being a ruthlessly dull, hopelessly square person.

FlyingRon

I would check with NORML for attorney referrals.
Or perhaps the NORCL (National Organzation for the Reform of Crack Laws) depending on the pipe design.

I should point out that in addition to California and Federal laws (which are nothing to be sneezed at here) you will be exposed to the paraphernalia law of every state you sell into.

HomeGuru

Or perhaps the NORCL (National Organzation for the Reform of Crack Laws) depending on the pipe design.

I should point out that in addition to California and Federal laws (which are nothing to be sneezed at here) you will be exposed to the paraphernalia law of every state you sell into.
**A: that's telling him. Maybe we should order 2 pipes before he reads this post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">