+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lampworker is offline Junior Member

Selling Glass Pipes Online Legally?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
    I make glass pipes(including water pipes) and sell them wholesale to stores in California, this is currently done in person. I would like to start an invitation only password protected website to sell my pipes online. Only customers that I am already doing business with will be able to use the site so there is no chance of selling to a minor. I have thoroughly read 21 USC Code Section 863 which seems to indicate I can't do this, but I see lots of businesses doing it which makes me think it is possible. My questions:
    1. Can I legally sell glass pipes online and ship them within California?
    2. If so, is there any legal difference between using USPS or UPS/Fedex?
    3. Are there any specific restrictions or guidelines that would apply?
    4. What about shipping out of state?
    Thanks
    tranquility is offline Senior Member
    Since the rich and famous can go to jail for this, I'd get a real attorney with real experience in the industry and pay him money to answer.

[url=http://www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20030912chong0912p5.asp]Actor Tommy Chong gets nine months for selling pot pipes[/url]
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    Since the rich and famous can go to jail for this, I'd get a real attorney with real experience in the industry and pay him money to answer.

[url=http://www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20030912chong0912p5.asp]Actor Tommy Chong gets nine months for selling pot pipes[/url]
    But, they're WATER pipes, DUH!
    davew128 is offline Senior Member
    Not seeing anyone referred to here who is either rich or truly famous. I think his daughter is more well known than he is and she's a D lister.
    lampworker is offline Junior Member
    As I understand it the Tommy Chong(Operation Pipedreams) case is different in 2 respects from what I am interested in doing:
    1. Interstate shipping and thus a federal matter.
    2. Pennsylvania's laws are more strict than California's where Chong had been doing business without problems.

I believe that Chong wouldn't have had any problems if he had not shipped to PA. I'm no expert though, which is why I'm asking for advice.

I'd get a real attorney with real experience in the industry and pay him money to answer.
    Any advice on finding such an attorney? How much do you think I'd have to spend to find out?
    Last edited by lampworker; 09-16-2011 at 06:22 PM.
    tranquility is offline Senior Member
    Dave's not here.

For an old guy like me, Chong is well known. Anyone in high school in the 70s who couldn't quote from a Cheech & Chong skit was seriously uncool. You uncool davew128? Or, just younger?

I believe that Chong wouldn't have had any problems if he had not shipped to PA. I'm no expert though, which is why I'm asking for advice
    I gave it to you. See an attorney. If you're wrong, you will lose everything--including your freedom and right to not call yourself a convicted felon.
    Tranq, you said it yourself: In the 70's and nothing since. Not even a D lister.
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Tranq, you said it yourself: In the 70's and nothing since. Not even a D lister.
    That 70's Show (1999-2006) (remember, the photo booth owner?)

1/2 dozen unheard of movies since 2000

a couple other television shows since 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by lampworker View Post
    As I understand it the Tommy Chong(Operation Pipedreams) case is different in 2 respects from what I am interested in doing:
    1. Interstate shipping and thus a federal matter.
    2. Pennsylvania's laws are more strict than California's where Chong had been doing business without problems.

I believe that Chong wouldn't have had any problems if he had not shipped to PA. I'm no expert though, which is why I'm asking for advice.

Any advice on finding such an attorney? How much do you think I'd have to spend to find out?
    Chong went to prison after being convicted of FEDERAL laws, not Pennsylvania's. The fed agents happen to have been operating in PA but that was to ensure the sales were made across state lines and as such, invoked the powers of the federal government to act.
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    That 70's Show (1999-2006) (remember, the photo booth owner?)
    No, because I never watched it.
    Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    No, because I never watched it.

Ok so why did you say this:

Just because you did not experience something does not mean nobody did.
    NellieBly is offline Member
    Dave's not here.

For an old guy like me, Chong is well known. Anyone in high school in the 70s who couldn't quote from a Cheech & Chong skit was seriously uncool. You uncool davew128? Or, just younger?

I gave it to you. See an attorney. If you're wrong, you will lose everything--including your freedom and right to not call yourself a convicted felon.
    Goodness, even I saw Up In Smoke, despite being a ruthlessly dull, hopelessly square person.
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    I would check with NORML for attorney referrals.
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecmst12 View Post
    I would check with NORML for attorney referrals.
    Or perhaps the NORCL (National Organzation for the Reform of Crack Laws) depending on the pipe design.

I should point out that in addition to California and Federal laws (which are nothing to be sneezed at here) you will be exposed to the paraphernalia law of every state you sell into.
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Or perhaps the NORCL (National Organzation for the Reform of Crack Laws) depending on the pipe design.

I should point out that in addition to California and Federal laws (which are nothing to be sneezed at here) you will be exposed to the paraphernalia law of every state you sell into.
    **A: that's telling him. Maybe we should order 2 pipes before he reads this post.