• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AdamS

What is the name of your state? MO

I have a general question:

Do people actually go to jail for simple possession of a small amount? The DEA website states that jailtime is usually associated with more than possession, and that "it is very rare that someone is sentenced to prision over a joint." is that actually true?

HomeGuru

AdamS said:
What is the name of your state? MO

I have a general question:

Do people actually go to jail for simple possession of a small amount? The DEA website states that jailtime is usually associated with more than possession, and that "it is very rare that someone is sentenced to prision over a joint." is that actually true?
**A: yes, per the DEA, but the DEA is only one agency. You still have your local crime prevention people to deal with.

H

hexeliebe

Possession of What?

A dead cat.

A human skull?

A decapitated body?

6 ton of high-grade, uncut cocaine?

A case of stupidity?

M

Mike2004

lol... Man, Im no lawyer but i really dont believe any judge is gonna put you in prison for getting caught with a joint.

There has to be more to this than you are letting on or you wouldnt be sweating it so bad.

HomeGuru

Mike2004 said:
lol... Man, Im no lawyer but i really dont believe any judge is gonna put you in prison for getting caught with a joint.

There has to be more to this than you are letting on or you wouldnt be sweating it so bad.
**A: of course there is more to the story. Speeding, a bag of weed etc.
In other words: bad boys.

H

hexeliebe

hexy, the fact that the writer posted in the Drug Charges forum............
Unless he was so high he didn't know where he was and decided to ask that head he has on his mantel for advice

A

AdamS

To answer some of your replies:

1. I was asking about simple possession of a small amount of marijuana (I said "joint," and I think common sense would imply that meant marijuana).

2. By small amount, I mean less than 1 once.

3. I am asking because I am doing a report on drug policy reform. I have researched organizations such as NORML, who state that simple possession gets you in prison or the state jail system, and the DEA, which states the exact opposite extreme. So,

I was asking to see what real lawyers have seen and know. Thanks for your input.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Mike2004 said:

My response:

Yes, Mike2004 should know. He was busted in his own home when the cops came crashing through - - only to find that he had planters full of growing marijuana plants. He was on probation at the time of the bust, ALSO!

He also had legal and physical custody of his two kids, and now stands an excellent chance of going to prison, and losing his two kids to his nutbag, druggie ex-wife (who, by the way, the children are living with today) and, of course, like the good druggie that MiKe is, he thinks he's "special" and won't be going to prison, and thinks he'll get to maintain custody of his kids.

Mike lives in a storybook world.

IAAL

I know plenty of people that have been caught with small amounts of the herb in CA.... maybe 6. Only one was ticketed and had to attend NA meetings... but that was because he got busted in a SoCal city where the cops will arrest you for a joint... but will cover-up their own misdeeds to the point that the DOJ has to step in and lay the smack down.

Don't fret, pet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">