• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

simple possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mulberry

I am sorry if this question will insult anyone but I do need to ask it because I am in no way familiar with the laws or legal system for that matter. Ok, well I was pulled over for speeding in South Carolina but not given a speeding ticket, instead I was handed a simple possession of marijuana ticket for $425. The way it went down was I got pulled over, the officer asked for my license and registration, then asked me to get out of the vehicle which I did, he then proceeded to ask me questions like do I drink, when was the last time I did, do I smoke marijuana, when was the last time...not very routine for just speeding don't you think. Anyways, he then asked if he could search my vehicle and without any resistance from me and full cooperation I had no objections. The officer found a small bud of marijuana about the size of a seed. It was probably even a seed. No court appearance is required but the arresting officer did say that I could end up losing my license for 90 days if the magistrate says so. This is my first offense other than simple speeding tickets. What should I do? I plan on going to court but have no idea on what to do when I get there. Should I get a lawyer to try and dispute it? I desperately need to know the full extent of this charge and whatever I should do about it. Thanks.

C

Cameron K

Here is what I would do...

If this is your first offence I would ask for a deferred judgement you get one of these in a lifetime in every state. It is basically a get out of jail free card theyll put you on unsupervised probation and they wont revoke your liscence for 90 days. Then if you get in trouble again they can bring that charge back up again... but my advise to you is to keep the marijuana at home and dont drive around with it in your possession... cops are really cracking down these if they even suspect any thing they have the right to search your vehicle.. Fly right from now on and keep your head held high every thing will work out okay.

good luck Shawna

M

mulberry

Thanks, for the advice...I've heard about something like that, it was called Pretrial Intervention (PTI). A buddy of mine told me about it when I told him my situation. Is this what you are referring to when you say deferred judgement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">