• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple Possession of Marijuana less than 1/2 oz in NC FIRST OFFENSE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

21g1246

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina (NC)

I was with 2 friends in my car and I was driving. I was stopped for license check and they did smell marijuana because I had like 0.8 grams of Marijuana in my car. I am way too honest. I was asked how much Marijuana do I have and I told them a little bit and I handed it to them but still they did rip my car and searched it thoroughly and found nothing because that's all I had. It's my first offense I have never been charged for anything before. I was cooperative and I took responsibility and I told them that it was only mine although it was not all mine 3 of us bought it together(I was protecting my friends)and that was the left over in my car. I got a local criminal defense lawyer because now I am charged with misdemeanor class 3 only possession I was advised by my lawyer to complete 24 hours of community hours before the court date and I did complete that my case is pending for the court date. My record is very important for me I didn't smoke again after that incident. What can I expect what's gonna happen? The lawyer told me that I will not be convicted but I am not sure if that's true. Also when can I expunge this charge? After expungement how is it going to affect me for the rest of my life?

I am 21 years old and any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina (NC)

... I got a local criminal defense lawyer because now I am charged with misdemeanor class 3 only possession I was advised by my lawyer to complete 24 hours of community hours before the court date and I did complete that my case is pending for the court date. My record is very important for me I didn't smoke again after that incident. What can I expect what's gonna happen? The lawyer told me that I will not be convicted but I am not sure if that's true. Also when can I expunge this charge? After expungement how is it going to affect me for the rest of my life?

I am 21 years old and any advice will be appreciated.
I think you were smart to hire a criminal defense lawyer. A conviction on a misdemeanor charge can affect all areas of your life (school, work, travel). Having an attorney increases the chance of you being accepted into the diversion program which, upon satisfactory completion of its terms, will discharge and dismiss the possession offense. With that, you can have the arrest and charge expunged from your criminal history.

Here are two links for your review, the first to the laws and penalties in North Carolina for drug possession, and the second to North Carolina expunctions:

http://norml.org/laws/item/north-carolina-penalties-2

http://www.ncjustice.org/?q=second-chance-alliance/summary-nc-expunctions-2015

Good luck in court.

Edit to add, to better respond to your second (now-locked) thread: From the same NC Justice Center link provided above, you should click on the Frequently Asked Questions section, which addresses professional licensing and criminal records, and here is an additional link to the North Carolina Medical Board with information that helps answer the questions you posed: http://www.ncmedboard.org/articles/detail/the_licensee_information_pages_a_guide_to_reporting_adverse_information

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">