• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small fence will keep cops out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iglesia_tangeri

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I am not certain this is the correct forum to be posting this question, so if there is a better place for it, please let me know.

I am planning on having a party, and some of the people attending will be under 21. I imagine that people will be in the house and in the backyard. Nothing too big, just coworkers. I don't plan on the police being called because of noise, but I am not sure. I remember in my criminal justice class learning that police officers have the right to walk onto private property, even if a no trespassing sign is present.

There is a small wire fence surrounding my property, a few inches taller than knee high, and I was wondering, if the police were to show up, would they legally be allowed to cross over the fence? Something about 'plain view' makes me think that they can, but since they will not know anyone's age, do they have the right to cross over the fence and onto my property?

racer72

if the police were to show up, would they legally be allowed to cross over the fence?
The fence can be 20 feet tall, if the officer feels he is witnessing illegal activity, he can go over, around or through the fence.

outonbail

Why in the world would anyone put up a fence that only comes up to your knees?
It certainly can't keep animals or people in or out of the property.
What it can do however, is land you in court when these party goer's decide to leave after belting down a few drinks and in the dark, trip over this hazard, resulting in a face plant on to a sidewalk or driveway, where they deposit a couple of teeth, some blood tissue and a little meat.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why in the world would anyone put up a fence that only comes up to your knees?
It certainly can't keep animals or people in or out of the property.
What it can do however, is land you in court when these party goer's decide to leave after belting down a few drinks and in the dark, trip over this hazard, resulting in a face plant on to a sidewalk or driveway, where they deposit a couple of teeth, some blood tissue and a little meat.
It sounds to me like one of those landscaping "fences" - maybe the op has a flower bed on the perimeter of his property and that flower bed is "outlined" by a decorative landscaping "fence".....

Curt581

Not to worry. The marijuana dealers he or she lives with will cover damages.

iglesia_tangeri

Funny, Curt.

The fence was put up to keep my dog in the yard. It keeps her from going next door and attacking chipmunks hiding in the neighbors yard. There is no concrete by the fence, so I'm not too worried about people faceplanting.

waterblazinfb

Do yourself a favor

Do yourself a favor and don't let the police get in the way of a good time. Most likely they will not come unless you have a crazy noise complaint from an angry neighbor, and even then they barely come within 3 hours of the call.

Maybe police should pertain to "protect and serve" instead of "annoy and perturb"

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maybe police should pertain to "protect and serve" instead of "annoy and perturb"
Yeah, just think of that the next time the police pull someone out of a burning car, or take a dangerous drunk or high driver off the road. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Idiot

CdwJava

waterblazinfb said:
Do yourself a favor and don't let the police get in the way of a good time. Most likely they will not come unless you have a crazy noise complaint from an angry neighbor, and even then they barely come within 3 hours of the call.

Three hours? Wow, your local cops need to hire more officers!

Responding to a call of loud noise or potentially illegal activity (underage drinking, drug use, etc.) IS protecting and serving.

"Annoy and perturb" ... cute. Yeah, we spend all day thinking of ways to annoy people we don't know. :rolleyes:

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">