• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son arrested for selling pain-killers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onthesolidrock

Pennsylvania

My son and his girlfriend were arrested last Thursday for selling Vicodin pain pills. It seems that last November our son was approached by a friend who needed some pain pills, and was asked if he had any. My son sold this kid about 6 pills. Again, this took place last November.

Since then, my son, who was not working at the time, has landed a great, skilled job, worked long enough to get medical insurance, and then placed himself in a drug counseling center as an out-patient, his insurance covers these visits.

Last week he was arrested for these charges, which are felony charges, and he is now awaiting a preliminary hearing that is scheduled to take place this Thursday.

He was given a paper to fill out, and have sent so he can get a public defender. It seems that the prison holding him "forgot" to send in the paper, now my son has a good opportunity of having a continuance, and will then most certainly lose his job.

It also needs to be said, that the local police chief that arrested my son, contacted me ahead of the arrest, and promptly got my son and his girlfriend, and they immediately went down and turned themselves in.

We are wondering what the outcome of this will be.

Will he do time in the state prison?

Can he get out on parole?

What can we possibly do to help?

Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.

xylene

Narcotics sales do involve the prospect of prison time. The details matter.

Do you mean bail? The answer is maybe

Pay for a lawyer if possible. Testify truthfully if called to do so.

Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.
Do not talk to the police without a lawyer. Don't incriminate your son.

selling 6 vicodin pills? hardly like selling a kilo of cocaine or pot...but prescription drugs nonetheless. prison time? not likely if its his first offense.

maybe probation and or fine. but hey, what do i know.:cool:

FlyingRon

Delivery of a controlled substance is good for 15 years in PA.
This is serious. Help your son obtain effective counsel. Bail would have been set at the preliminary hearing and it behooves you to have good counsel PRIOR to this. Deals are cut with the DA at or before the prelim hearing as a matter or course. Showing up without representation is like throwing yourself to the wolves.

outonbail

Pennsylvania

My son and his girlfriend were arrested last Thursday for selling Vicodin pain pills. It seems that last November our son was approached by a friend who needed some pain pills, and was asked if he had any. My son sold this kid about 6 pills. Again, this took place last November.
Did your son or his girlfriend have a prescription for these pills? How did this sale to his friend lead to an arrest? Was the friend working with the police as an informant or was he arrested for them and then told the police where he got them?

Since then, my son, who was not working at the time, has landed a great, skilled job, worked long enough to get medical insurance, and then placed himself in a drug counseling center as an out-patient, his insurance covers these visits.
Are you saying that your son has had a drug problem for quite some time, yet he was able to land a good job?

Last week he was arrested for these charges, which are felony charges, and he is now awaiting a preliminary hearing that is scheduled to take place this Thursday.
Has his bail amount been set?

He was given a paper to fill out, and have sent so he can get a public defender. It seems that the prison holding him "forgot" to send in the paper, now my son has a good opportunity of having a continuance, and will then most certainly lose his job.
Why can't he be bailed out so he can go to work? Is he being held without bail?

It also needs to be said, that the local police chief that arrested my son, contacted me ahead of the arrest, and promptly got my son and his girlfriend, and they immediately went down and turned themselves in.
Is she also still in custody?

We are wondering what the outcome of this will be.
The forum crystal ball was broke some time back and the new one is still on back order.

Possible, but doubtful unless he has priors.

This question is a little premature.

Hire him an attorney, post his bail, stop speaking to the police, accept his collect phone calls, place money on his books ad keep his property/pets safe until he is released.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">