• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son's apartment raided, cops found many drugs, arrested and released them

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KRuth

California

My son lives in an apartment with 2 roommates, a guy who has his own room, and he and his girlfriend have a room. Sometimes her 16 year old brother stays there too.
The other day, when my son was in class at college, the police from 2 forces busted in with a battering ram and raided their apartment. They had a warrant for his roommate that said they were looking for marijuana and weapons. There were no weapons. They found some growing equipment and about 3 oz. of pot, and then found a tool box in my son’s room with several drugs, including about 24 oz. of MDMA powder (which I think can make about 240 capsules), a scale, and small amounts of other drugs, plus $500 in cash. They arrested the roommate and the girlfriend and then they went to the college and arrested my son. They took them to the police station and questioned and fingerprinted them. They admitted the stuff was theirs, but deny that they were selling anything, as the cops accused them of. The cops told them they were going to county jail and threatened them, but then very oddly, let them go and did not charge them. One attorney the roommate’s family spoke to said this is very strange…. that the cops must have made a procedural error because they would not have let them go otherwise. We are wondering whether the cops let them go due to a procedural error, or if they let them go so they can build a case and charge them later. Several questions I’d like to ask: 1. Can they use the tool box evidence (MDMA and other drugs) even though the warrant was for the roommate? Keep in mind my son admitted it was his. 2. If they let them go, what do you think this means? 3. Since we and he cannot afford an expensive criminal attorney, is this something the public defender can handle, as far as representing my son well? 4. With this quantity of MDMA, can the cops prove this was intent to sell, and in California, does anyone know what the mandatory minimum sentence is for this quantity? It would be his first drug offense other than a drug possession charge that got dismissed a couple of years ago. He does have a misdemeanor petty theft on his record and is on summary probation for that. Also, if a mandatory minimum sentence is imposed, how much of that time is actually served? Thank you for your input. From VERY CONCERNED PARENTS

1. Can they use the tool box evidence (MDMA and other drugs) even though the warrant was for the roommate? Keep in mind my son admitted it was his.
Yes. He admitted it was his so that will be evidence used against your son.

2. If they let them go, what do you think this means?
They still can still choose to prosecute up to a year (I believe, if I am wrong someone please correct me) if the prosecuting attorney feels they have the evidence. I would prepare for the worse.

3. Since we and he cannot afford an expensive criminal attorney, is this something the public defender can handle, as far as representing my son well?
Get a laywer.. these are pretty serious charges and public defender isn't as good as a personal attorney. A personal attorney can spend much more time preparing your family for an outcome.

I hope this works out for you, your son, and your family (especially with him being a college student).

I would stick around for the laywers, police officers, and other people (much smarter than me) to give you advice. The people here give great advice.

CdwJava

The other day, when my son was in class at college, the police from 2 forces busted in with a battering ram and raided their apartment. They had a warrant for his roommate that said they were looking for marijuana and weapons.
If they went through that much effort, and it was a task force (as indicated by the multiple agencies), then this was no simple marijuana possession case.

There were no weapons. They found some growing equipment and about 3 oz. of pot, and then found a tool box in my son’s room with several drugs, including about 24 oz. of MDMA powder (which I think can make about 240 capsules), a scale, and small amounts of other drugs, plus $500 in cash.
Like I said ...

This is very bad for your son and his roommates.

They admitted the stuff was theirs, but deny that they were selling anything, as the cops accused them of.
They can deny it if they want, but scales and that much powder indicates possession for sales. The defense will have an uphill battle to combat the contention of sales.

One attorney the roommate’s family spoke to said this is very strange…. that the cops must have made a procedural error because they would not have let them go otherwise.
Possibly. But, there are other possibilities, as well.

One possibility is that they may prefer to get a filing from the DA and continue their investigation rather than go to a preliminary hearing before they got their ducks in a row. It's likely they found more than they expected so they have some more things to consider.

Several questions I’d like to ask: 1. Can they use the tool box evidence (MDMA and other drugs) even though the warrant was for the roommate? Keep in mind my son admitted it was his.
The warrant will have described the areas to be searched. Chances are it covered all rooms in the house. If it specifically excluded your son's room, and that's where the drugs were found, then their case will be difficult.

2. If they let them go, what do you think this means?
See above.

3. Since we and he cannot afford an expensive criminal attorney, is this something the public defender can handle, as far as representing my son well?
Quite possibly.

4. With this quantity of MDMA, can the cops prove this was intent to sell, and in California, does anyone know what the mandatory minimum sentence is for this quantity?
It depends on what specific offense he is charged with. And, I do not believe there is a state "mandatory minimum" for drug possession ... the feds have such minimums, but the state does not (at least, I do not recall hearing of it).

He needs an attorney ASAP!!!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">