• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue of limitatin for UPM

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BobbieBrian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I got pulled over 4yrs ago & got three tickets going over a double yellow line, UPM, & possesion of alc. I had court two times & it was 4yrs ago. It got postponed & i never recieved another date. What is the statue of limitations on these tickets

FlyingRon

Statute of limitations is the time between when you commit the offense and when you get the ticket.

I_Got_Banned

I think Ron is a bit off there... The statute of limitations, as I understand it, applies to the time period between the action (committing the offense) and the time it is filed in court. Based on what you posted, one could safely assume that these matters were filed in court prior to your 2 appearances.

There could be an issue with a violation of your right to a speedy trial (considering it has been 4 years since you appeared, but that might also depend on what transpired at those 2 appearances, whether you entered a plea, whether you waived time (waived your right to a speedy trial)... etc.

Maybe you should contact the court for more information... You should be able to get a copy of the case file at which time you can make an educated guess as to what has transpired so far and whether there remains anything that needs to be done.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You may very well have warrants out for your arrest.

You waited FOUR YEARS before you woke up and said "hey I never had my trial". There's as good chance that the court sent you something and you didn't receive it. Check with the court ASAP.

What court was this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">