• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Poswithintent

I was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell in California 5 years ago. I left the state before my trial because California does not extradite and I have been living free in another state. Is there a statute of limitation on the charges? Can or will the charges go away overtime?

LdiJ

I was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell in California 5 years ago. I left the state before my trial because California does not extradite and I have been living free in another state. Is there a statute of limitation on the charges? Can or will the charges go away overtime?
From what I understand they will never go away.

justalayman

Since you have fled the jurisdiction you get to enjoy this hanging over your head forever basically.

But who told you California doesn't extradite? I think Roman Polanski would tend to disagree with you. They may not extradite for whatever crime you are being charged with but to state they do not extradite without such clarification is simply incorrect.

Poswithintent

Since you have fled the jurisdiction you get to enjoy this hanging over your head forever basically.

But who told you California doesn't extradite? I think Roman Polanski would tend to disagree with you. They may not extradite for whatever crime you are being charged with but to state they do not extradite without such clarification is simply incorrect.
Clearly I meant in context of the specific charges. You know you're kind of a self righteous douche bag right?

justalayman

Clearly I meant in context of the specific charges. You know you're kind of a self righteous douche bag right?
And you're an absconder with the threat and fear of prosecution and inprisonment over your head.

I'll stay with being a self righteous AND FREE FROM CONCERN OF GOING PRISON douche bag if it's ok with you. Which would you prefer?

Your statement did not imply any limitations but was an outright statement with no contingencies suggested.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
YOu know you're kind of a self righteous ******* who does illegal drugs and then wants to blame people for it thus not taking any responsibility? Hence, a used colostomy bag, right?

Just Blue

I am LMBO. You are not living "free". You are waiting for the ax to drop.

CdwJava

Well, you were wrong. California WILL extradite, they just don't do it for every crime.

And the SOL in your case is not relevant since you were charged and you fled. You do not get rewarded for fleeing and hiding. The charges and the warrant will remain until served or recalled. In other words, you are a fugitive - a wanted man.

LdiJ

Well, you were wrong. California WILL extradite, they just don't do it for every crime.

And the SOL in your case is not relevant since you were charged and you fled. You do not get rewarded for fleeing and hiding. The charges and the warrant will remain until served or recalled. In other words, you are a fugitive - a wanted man.
Lets not be sexist...we could just as easily be speaking to a wanted woman.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">