• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing the Federal Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cneckar

Hello. My name is Casey and I am 17 and a senior in high school. I am in AP Government and we have been talking about courts and federal law. I have been thinking about something but I'm not sure if I could go through with it.

Federal law says that Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug and that means a doctor can't prescribe it to anyone. Of course Marijuana doesn't compare to heroin or meth or anything else labeled under schedule 1.
I was just wondering what I could do to sue the federal government for not enforcing federal law or sue the states that have Marijuana legal medical or not.

Any advice would be great

Thank you
-Casey

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello. My name is Casey and I am 17 and a senior in high school. I am in AP Government and we have been talking about courts and federal law. I have been thinking about something but I'm not sure if I could go through with it.

Federal law says that Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug and that means a doctor can't prescribe it to anyone. Of course Marijuana doesn't compare to heroin or meth or anything else labeled under schedule 1.
I was just wondering what I could do to sue the federal government for not enforcing federal law or sue the states that have Marijuana legal medical or not.

Any advice would be great

Thank you
-Casey
If you are unsure of how to research this, please ask your teacher for some pointers. I'm sure your teacher wouldn't want you running to an internet forum to get the answer to homework questions.

Cneckar

If you are unsure of how to research this, please ask your teacher for some pointers. I'm sure your teacher wouldn't want you running to an internet forum to get the answer to homework questions.
It's not a homework question. It's a legitimate question.

Cneckar

If that's the case then, no, you can't sue the federal government for not enforcing federal law.
Why not? They aren't enforcing federal law in California, Colorado, and Washington etc. Am I not entitled to sue the federal government for not enforcing federal law?

Zigner

Why not? They aren't enforcing federal law in California, Colorado, and Washington etc. Am I not entitled to sue the federal government for not enforcing federal law?
These are great questions for a bright AP Government student to research the answers to. Really. In fact, I would bet that your teacher would be happy to guide you in your research. Heck, you might even get some extra credit out of it :)

Cneckar

These are great questions for a bright AP Government student to research the answers to. Really. In fact, I would bet that your teacher would be happy to guide you in your research. Heck, you might even get some extra credit out of it :)
Thank you and everything but quite frankly he's not a lawyer. I am really thinking about doing this because it's a big topic. If I couldn't sue the federal government then could I sue the states for not complying with federal law?

quincy

Thank you and everything but quite frankly he's not a lawyer. I am really thinking about doing this because it's a big topic. If I couldn't sue the federal government then could I sue the states for not complying with federal law?
You first need standing to sue. How have you been harmed?

Zigner

Most folks here aren't lawyers. Lawyers, generally, get paid for their time. Again, your teacher can help you understand the points you need to research. Quincy is being very nice to you, but the simple fact of the matter is that being fed the information really won't help you learn it.

quincy

... the simple fact of the matter is that being fed the information really won't help you learn it.
I think if people are open to learning, they can learn by being fed information. Teachers feed students information but teachers leave it to the students to absorb and apply what has been presented. The benefit to having an attorney help with legal matters is that an attorney has already been fed the information and absorbed it and has learned how to apply it. :)

I try to direct posters to the sources where they can find the information they are requesting. What they do with the information after that, and how they do it, is left up to them.

Following, for Casey's benefit, are two additional links to information, this time to sources on the Federal Tort Claims Act.

The 'Lectric Law Library: http://www.lectlaw.com/def/f071.htm

The US DOJ: https://www.justice.gov/civil/federal-tort-claims-act-litigation-section

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
There are many laws on the books that are not enforced, on the local, state, and federal level.

If you use Twitter I suggest you follow @CrimeADay to get an idea of the many silly federal laws that exist.

Just because a government entity chooses not to enforce a particular law is no reason to sue that entity. Police officers tend to have both pet peeves as well as certain (mostly traffic) laws that they feel should not be enforced. That's their discretion and unless someone gets hurt or damaged by their inaction there's not much that can be done, no matter how much you disagree with that.

quincy

There are many laws on the books that are not enforced, on the local, state, and federal level.

If you use Twitter I suggest you follow @CrimeADay to get an idea of the many silly federal laws that exist.

Just because a government entity chooses not to enforce a particular law is no reason to sue that entity. Police officers tend to have both pet peeves as well as certain (mostly traffic) laws that they feel should not be enforced. That's their discretion and unless someone gets hurt or damaged by their inaction there's not much that can be done, no matter how much you disagree with that.
I think what surprises me the most about Casey's question is that he is a 17 year old senior in high school who wants to sue the government for NOT enforcing federal marijuana laws. :eek: :p :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">