• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a case agasint me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnonymousFromTX

I'm from Texas. I was out of town and the cops were called to my home when the alarm went off. I live with my parents currently, but am not a minor. I am on probation and do not smoke or anything (it's a non-drug related offense that I was charged for). I can completely pass a drug test if need be. I digress: we get a call and the cops have two pipes in their posession in the evidence room at the station. They were called to look for intruders and signs of someone breaking in, but they searched my room and went through all my things in my closet and found the pipes. They also found books on legalization, which I was using to write a college essay (the books are checked out from the college library). They are not mine, but they were in my room. I just was wondering if there could be a case against me? Thanks for your time. I'm in a sticky situation and need some help.

CdwJava

Yes, there could be charges against you. I would consider consulting an attorney.

- Carl

jhawktransplant

He is right. You should contact an atty. However, I find the circumstances highly irregular. The police were not served with a search and seizure warrant. This does not mean that they couldn't confiscate your 4 ft Graffix bong if it was sitting out as they passed through to check the house. But to rifle through your personal belongings, unless they thought the suspect was perhaps an underwear gnome, I believe, is unlawful. Anyway, more than likely, the only way you're going to get out of this one is to hire an atty....this isn't some trumped up traffic ticket. Good luck, bro and hey man....in the future....if your "not smokin' pot" and you have some pipes sitting around being unused, donate them to you local dope fiend, DO NOT KEEP THEM!!......hey, are your parents facing charges? Did you own up to them being yours already or what?

CdwJava

The OP is on probation ... chances are he is on probation with search conditions that allow the police to search the underwear drawers even if no underpants gnomes are suspected.

If they were there and found out or knew the OP was on probation with search conditions, they probably decided it would be a good time to search.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">