• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

are there ways to avoid spending 15 days in jail for a drug paraphernalia charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marcoolio07

What is the name of your state? California:confused:

i had recently been charged for possession of drug paraphernalia,while still under DEJ, after being released on OR i decided to fight the charges in court but somehow lost and was sentenced to serve 15 days in jail, i chose to surrender myself mid- November even though i know i will surely lose my job for being away that long...so i was hoping to get some help in knowing how to avoid jail time and still be able to serve my sentence in some other way...like home detention or other alternatives.

Silverplum

i had recently been charged for possession of drug paraphernalia,while still under DEJ, after being released on OR i decided to fight the charges in court but somehow lost and was sentenced to serve 15 days in jail, i chose to surrender myself mid- November even though i know i will surely lose my job for being away that long...so i was hoping to get some help in knowing how to avoid jail time and still be able to serve my sentence in some other way...like home detention or other alternatives.
Did you ask the judge at sentencing?

J

Jdolittle69

Once sentencing is done, your sorta screwed. If you had a lawyer, they could fight for something else. Especially if you have a job, and not to much of record, there shouldnt be any reason you would do 15 days.

JD

outonbail

Depending on what county you're case is in and unless the number of times you've been arrested on drug related charges is in two or three digits, I find it hard to believe that you would be doing fifteen days for paraphernalia alone. Here in Riverside county, you would probably only do three days of a fifteen day sentence for a non violent offense, five at the very most.
If the judge gave you the option of serving your time on weekends, when you go to sign up for your weekend commitment, you are usually given the option of wearing an ankle device and being placed on home arrest. This is an option you will have to pay for and there are several other requirements that you have to meet to qualify for house arrest.

However, I personally have never heard of anyone doing time over a simple possession of paraphernalia conviction.

So,

There has to be more to this caper than rolling paper! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">