• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

three counts of possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CareBearGrl89

I am 18 and currently attending Indiana University of Pennsylvania and during the second week of this semester I got caught smoking weed in my dorm room. The police officers that came threatened to search my room if I did not turn over my stuff. I gave them my weed and my papers but because I would not admit that I was actually smoking the weed they continued threatening to search my room so then I gave them a bottle of vodka I had in my closet. They told me I was under arrest but would not be taken to the police station but rather I would get all the paper work in the mail. I still have not received any citations but my mom got a letter in the mail stating when I should appear in court. I am getting charged with possession of marijuana, alcohol, and paraphenalia. Because they confiscated all my stuff I am assuming it is best I plead guilty but should I still apply for a public defender? Or any other advice about my situation?

las365

Lay off the drugs and booze! Oh, legal advice...

I'm not an attorney, but it is my understanding that if your parents can (and will) pay for a private attorney you may be better off than with a public defender. (No offense to Public Defenders!) Having a Public Defender is better than not having an attorney.

If your parents can afford a lawyer for you, you should repay the fees to them. And seriously, lay off the drugs and booze.

quincy

You really should have read your IUP student handbook carefully. IUP is really serious about the use, sale or possession of alcohol or illegal drugs on campus. Since you are under 21, your alcohol possession could lead to a $300 fine and you will lose your driver's license for 90 days (this is for a first offense). The simple possession of marijuana can cost you up to $500 and/or 30 days in jail. Also, you can face disciplinary action from IUP's judicial system, which can include drug and alcohol counseling all the way up to suspension or expulsion from school.

As las said, it is always best if you are represented by legal counsel. You can apply for a public defender, at arraignment, and the judge will consider your financial situation and the likelihood of a jail sentence before appointing one. You may be responsible for paying back the county for the cost of the public defender.

In court, dress nicely and be polite. Attitude can make a big difference in how the judge decides your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">