• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble in Virginia...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

summerbvt

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Ok, so here is the deal. My younger sister has a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. She is from Virginia and went to school her freshman year at ETSU in Tennessee. As most freshman do, she ended up with a Underage Possession charge, but did the community service and was told it wouldn't be on her record anymore. Due to the cost of out of state tuition, she transferred to a community college in Virginia Beach. Everything was fine for a year or so, but recently her luck has gone downhill.
A few months ago, she was DD for her friends that she works with. They went to a bar and she used someone elses ID to get it. She went to the bathroom to reapply her makeup, and right afterwards the security guard/officer came in and told her that someone had said she was doing coke in the bathroom. My sister has a fear of cocaine and will never touch the stuff, so of course, she was like 'Are you serious???'. So they said they had to search her purse. Of course they didn't find any cocaine, but they did find the ID. They asked if she had been drinking, and she hadn't, offered to take a test. They believed her, but still charged her with 'possession of another persons drivers license'.
Last weekend she was at Warped Tour and got taken in for drunk in public. She said everyone else was irrate and swearing and she just sat there waiting to be released, completely coherent. They never even gave her a B.A.C. test. Never even asked her to. When they wrote her tickets they gave her one for possession of a fake ID, and one for drunk in public. Apparantly the guy told her that the latter wouldn't be a problem. She didn't know what he meant by this, but we can only guess that she wouldn't end up being charged either because she was never administered a test or that the officer wasn't planning on showing up since she was far more cooperative than the other kids there. Just wondering what she is looking at as far as charges and punishment for all of this. I have no experience with these sort of things, so I can't give her a straight up answer... any help? Would it even be worth it getting a lawyer with all these being misdemeanors?

CdwJava

She should consult with an attorney. Having a public intoxication or underage drinking beef in VA might result in a suspension of a driver's license, so she might be in more trouble for a guilty plea. Combine this with her false ID charge, and she could be looking at time as a judge may well decide she is headed down a dangerous road.

I would suggest you help get your sister some counseling or some help for whatever the problem might be ... she may well be selling you a load of goods to gain your sympathy. If not, then she has the darnedest luck. Perhaps she spends a little too much time going out with her friends? In any event, she is looking at a downward spiral if something in her life does not change soon.

- Carl

"most freshmen" do NOT wind up with underage possession charges. you seem to be making up so many excuses for her that i don't know if i even believe half of them.

and ps. there's a big difference between having bad luck and being an idiot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">