• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

camerowl

I'm 19, almost 20 years old, and just recently just got an underage drinking ticket. I have never been in any kind of trouble what so ever and this was a result of my friends wanting some help. I was charged for possession of a malt beverage, and for aiding/abetting another minor obtain alcohol. I also used a fake ID to obtain the alcohol. I was wondering what my consequences would be and how much the fine would be. I really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

CdwJava

And what state are you in? And, what is the code section you were cited for? (If not a state code section, what city or county jurisdiction was it in?)

quincy

I'm 19, almost 20 years old, and just recently just got an underage drinking ticket. I have never been in any kind of trouble what so ever and this was a result of my friends wanting some help. I was charged for possession of a malt beverage, and for aiding/abetting another minor obtain alcohol. I also used a fake ID to obtain the alcohol. I was wondering what my consequences would be and how much the fine would be. I really appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Here is a link to the laws you violated, camerowl, and the possible penalties:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapter_18B/Article_3.pdf

Because you have been charged with misdemeanors, you would be smart to consult with an attorney in your area. The fine itself is not what you should be worried about. What you need to worry about is what a misdemeanor conviction can mean for your future - financial aid denied, job opportunities lost, loans refused, interest rates increased, travel to foreign countries restricted or denied ...

An attorney can work with the prosecutor to see if you can get into a diversion program with conditions to satisfy during a probationary period that, if completed to the court's satisfaction, can keep the misdemeanors off your criminal record. With first offenses, such a program can often be offered - but your best chance of escaping the worst of the penalites and being convicted is to have an attorney assist you.

Good luck.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Were you charged with the fake id and anything else but the possession? Your post isn't too clear about anything other than the single charge.

quincy

Were you charged with the fake id and anything else but the possession? Your post isn't too clear about anything other than the single charge.
camerowl said he was charged with "possession" AND "aiding and abetting," so there are at least TWO misdemeanor charges. I agree camerowl is not clear on whether s/he was charged for using the fake ID, though.

But, even if camerowl faced only ONE misdemeanor charge, the advice remains the same. S/he would be smart to have an attorney assist for the best chance of getting charges dismissed or reduced or getting into a diversion program. What camerowl would NOT be smart doing is pleading guilty and paying a fine, just to get it over with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">