• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage and Open Intoxicants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hansen5

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I was at the madison state street party and I was handed a beer as I was walking out of a bar. Before I realized it, I was arrested and given an underage as well as a open intoxicants violation. I was wondering what would be the best way to go about this. What is no contest and would it be advisable to choose that over pleading not guilty to the open intoxicant charge? I am fine with pleading guilty to the underage because there is no way around that but what is my chance of a judge believing that I was handed this beer and it was a wrong place wrong time situation?

JETX

I was wondering what would be the best way to go about this.
Gee.... sounds like GUILTY would be a good idea.

What is no contest and would it be advisable to choose that over pleading not guilty to the open intoxicant charge?
No contest simply means that you are not 'contesting' the charge and accept the punishment.

I am fine with pleading guilty to the underage because there is no way around that but what is my chance of a judge believing that I was handed this beer and it was a wrong place wrong time situation?
The court won't care the circumstances that lead up to you violation... only whether you were in violation.
The court probably wouldn't believe your 'just handed' story either.

jennifer83

plead not guilty. no one will believe it but never plead gilty to anything unless there is a really good deal in doing so even if you really are guilty and they have the smoking gun. you will get community service. no big deal.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
plead not guilty. no one will believe it but never plead gilty to anything unless there is a really good deal in doing so even if you really are guilty and they have the smoking gun. you will get community service. no big deal.
Shut up. You should NOT be giving advice on here. And how do you know OP will get community service? What else will happen to OP? Do you know? How about court costs? Loss of license?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">