• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Possession and Consumption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajs226

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I'm 17 with no other prior offenses. I was on an abandoned property with about 10 other people, of which maybe 3 were 18. We had a case of beer, and a fire going, and i was asleep about 9 or 10 feet from the fire, laying on the ground. When the police arrived, they asked who had been drinking, and since i was the only one not able to respond, all the empties were blamed on me. I had been drinking, but like i said, i was asleep. I wasn't breathalized, nor did i give any blood or do any field sobriety tests, but I was the only one taken into custody or charged. What should i be expecting as far as fines or rulings?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I'm 17 with no other prior offenses. I was on an abandoned property with about 10 other people, of which maybe 3 were 18. We had a case of beer, and a fire going, and i was asleep about 9 or 10 feet from the fire, laying on the ground. When the police arrived, they asked who had been drinking, and since i was the only one not able to respond, all the empties were blamed on me. I had been drinking, but like i said, i was asleep. I wasn't breathalized, nor did i give any blood or do any field sobriety tests, but I was the only one taken into custody or charged. What should i be expecting as far as fines or rulings?
In Georgia, a minor's driver's license will be suspended, regardless of whether they were operating a motor vehicle in an impaired state, and the minor can face fines and penalties, be required to perform community service, and even face jail time for a minor in possession conviction. Furthermore, a conviction of minor in possession may adversely impact a minor's ability to get accepted to college or get a job and may permanently blacken their record. Any MIP charge should not be taken lightly.

The maximum penalty for MIP (minor in possession) in Georgia is six months in jail and a $300 fine. However, you are not likely to face jail time unless you have two or three offenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">