• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful Possession of Marijuana, New York.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hoodrichskate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK.

Well on December 28, 2008, I was caught with marijuana. I was charged with Unlawful Possession of Marijuana and given an appearance ticket to appear in court on January 5, 2009. I was then let go. When I went to court on January 5, The clerk informed me there was no court that day and that she would reschedule my court date. She also informed me that the trooper had never sent my paperwork regarding my charges to the court. I am curious why this is and also what fines/punishment I can expect to receive when I do finally go to court?

xylene

If this is your first offense expect a fine of about 100 buck plus some court costs.

You should plead not guilty, and ask for a dismissal. As the state has submitted no evidence you will likely get one.

hoodrichskate

Thanks for the information. Another question though, if I plead not guilty, do I just ask the judge for a dismissal? I've never been to court so I'm unsure of how the procedure goes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">