• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawfull poss Marijuana and

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dorito99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

my boy got pulled over and they found around an ounce on him and charged me with a UPM for a gram of weed, i also had $6000 cash on me and it honestly was from working a summer job (under the table pay) and my student loan refunds! my friend got a misdameanor possesion ticket! they took my money and wrote me a receipt. why did they take my money since it was under $10,000 and write me a receipt??? what are the chance of me getting it back and how long??? my friend took responsibility for the weed. ur input is greatly appreciated

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How old is your son?

Maybe you should contact a legal professional. Were you charged with anything?

It's January now. So you've been carrying around $6k cash since the summer from your summer "job"?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How old is your son?

Maybe you should contact a legal professional. Were you charged with anything?

It's January now. So you've been carrying around $6k cash since the summer from your summer "job"?
I don't think this is a SON so much as a homeboy type of thing. But yes the story strains credibility at this juncture.

ERAUPIKE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

my boy got pulled over and they found around an ounce on him and charged me with a UPM for a gram of weed, i also had $6000 cash on me and it honestly was from working a summer job (under the table pay) and my student loan refunds! my friend got a misdameanor possesion ticket! they took my money and wrote me a receipt. why did they take my money since it was under $10,000 and write me a receipt??? what are the chance of me getting it back and how long??? my friend took responsibility for the weed. ur input is greatly appreciated
They took your money because you were found to be in the presence of a large amount of narcotics. If you want your money to be returned you are going to need to prove to the State of New York that it was not the proceeds of narcotics sales.

dorito99

i got charged with a UPM. i just got a $2500 student loan and i let my friend hold onto the money so i didnt spend and now that im broke after the holidays i went to get it and got a ride home and got pulled over. and wtf does it matter where and when and how much i carry as long as its under $10000. this is AMERICA!!!!!! either way they cant steal my money!!!!!

ERAUPIKE

i got charged with a UPM. i just got a $2500 student loan and i let my friend hold onto the money so i didnt spend and now that im broke after the holidays i went to get it and got a ride home and got pulled over. and wtf does it matter where and when and how much i carry as long as its under $10000. this is AMERICA!!!!!! either way they cant steal my money!!!!!
There is no limit on the amount of money you can carry inside the borders of the United States. The "limit" you are referencing is the taxable limit of currency and goods one can transport across the international borders of the United States. So, now we have that cleared up. :cool:

Your money wasn't stolen. You were found to be with someone that was in possession of a large amount of narcotics. You were in possession of narcotics yourself. You are going to be required to prove to the State of New York that the money you possessed was not the proceeds from the sales of illegal narcotics. If you cannot prove that the $6000 you were carrying was from a legitimate source, it will be seized by the State of New York.

Although UPM is only a violation that typically carries a $100.00 fine, (plus a very expensive New York State surcharge) a record is created that may require you to disclose the conviction to present and future employers, including state agencies. A UPM conviction may also prohibit your ability to obtain financial aid for college.

dorito99

so if i show my financial aid check receipt for 2500 and have a pay stub for a week of work is that a good start??? and since they took my money shouldn't they have to prove that the money was tied to drugs?? which it is not. they have to prove that the money is illegal!!!! what if my mom gave me 6000 for christmas! what if i was goin to buy a car 2mrw? they cant just legally steal/seize my money because my friend is irresponsible!!!!!

HighwayMan

You said it was "under the table pay", so how did you get a paystub? And you think anyone is going to believe you earned all that money in single week?

Eraupike explained this to you. It sucks to be you. You now know what you need to do to get your money back.

dorito99

how else do paystubs come besides biweekly??? im not trying to argue but if it were just me in the car with a gram of weed and $6000 would they still take it?????? and they need to prove that the money is illegal after they seize it!!!!

dorito99

You said it was "under the table pay", so how did you get a paystub? And you think anyone is going to believe you earned all that money in single week?

Eraupike explained this to you. It sucks to be you. You now know what you need to do to get your money back.
summer job!!!!! a weekly paystub shows proof of income doesnt mean I make 6000 a week. and if i have to prove that the money is legal shouldn't they equally have to prove the money is illegal????

dorito99

What does this have to do with your off-the-books employment? Try actually reading what is posted.
im a full time student. i work in the summer to pay for books, tuition, housing and i need to eat to survive. i get a ride home with a gram of weed and my life savings. i dont know whats in my friends cars at all times nor do i ask.
do u??? jus because my friends have ****ty habits doesnt make it legal to rob a college kid!!!!

HighwayMan

You're not addressing the issue.

Why don't you hire an attorney and your legal counsel can explain it to you.

dorito99

also my friend owned up to all the weed and w.e he was charged with. if i show proof that the money is legal, which isnt a problem at all, how long til i would get a refund???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">