• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unrelated charge could lead to drug charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jim994

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

Hello. My friend is 19 with no prior arrest record. My friend was found by another friend with compromising video that he had taken and was on his memory card. He claims to have taken the video during Sandy, and was not of sound mind. Either way it was only on his memory card, and was not online for the world to see. The video apparently depicts a men's locker room. The friend of my friend has been threatening to go to the police with this information. My friend also had on his phone photos of marijuana plants he had taken. They're not labeled as being his. They're just on his phone. Now my friend has long since dismantled the plant. Can legal action be taken? Would they make him submit to a drug test? He's planning on going to the police as we speak as a self protection move. Disregarding the separate charges, if the evidence is on your phone like that, could that be enough for a warrant and then subsequently arrest?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

Hello. My friend is 19 with no prior arrest record. My friend was found by another friend with compromising video that he had taken and was on his memory card. He claims to have taken the video during Sandy, and was not of sound mind. Either way it was only on his memory card, and was not online for the world to see. The video apparently depicts a men's locker room. The friend of my friend has been threatening to go to the police with this information. My friend also had on his phone photos of marijuana plants he had taken. They're not labeled as being his. They're just on his phone. Now my friend has long since dismantled the plant. Can legal action be taken? Would they make him submit to a drug test? He's planning on going to the police as we speak as a self protection move. Disregarding the separate charges, if the evidence is on your phone like that, could that be enough for a warrant and then subsequently arrest?
If the friend of your friend goes to the police and the police have any interest at all in investigating the complaint, have your friend consult with an attorney.

He probably should not go to the police himself and admit to taking photos of marijuana plants or taking a video of a men's locker room. That would just be silly and not in his best interest at all. He might consider deleting the video and photos.

If your friend has any questions, he should post them here himself. Thanks.

swalsh411

Having pictures of drugs on your phone is not against the law.

Your "friend" should delete the pictures and video. If contacted by the police, say nothing except "I will not answer any questions without an attorney present."

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The chances of the police getting involved in this nonsense seem pretty small to me.

I would not volunteer to go to the police if I was your "friend". He should just behave himself and contact an attorney when contacted by the police, if that ever happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">