• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violated House Arrest TN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ViolationHelp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I was stopped by a police officer in the parking lot of my apartment complex at 4am when I was 18. I had just gotten back from a party and was getting out of a friends car heading towards my apartment. The officer stopped me and asked what I was doing out late. I told him I was at a friends house and was just returning home. He said my eyes looked too red and to put my hands on the hood of his car. He searched me and found a consealed(waist) boot knife, 2 bags of marijuana, and zanax pills on me. He then hand cuffed me and sat me in the backseat of his car. He went and talked to my friend that drove me home and then soon after let him go. I was then taken in and booked at the county jail. I was never at anytime read any rights.

I paid to get my legal record and these are the exact charges:

Charge: Unlawfully carrying or possessing of weapon.
Disposition: Guilty
Sentence: 3 months jail; suspended to house arrest costs (amount not specified.) 9/21/xx Probation warrant issued.

Charge: Possession of marijuana
Sentence: 3 Months jail; suspended upon payment of $250 fines and costs placed on house arrest. 9/21/xx Probation warrant issued.

Charge:possession of controlled substance for resale
Sentence: 3 months jail costs suspended. 9/21/xx Probation warrant issued.

Charge: Possession of drug paraphernalia
Sentence: 3 months jail; Suspended to house arrest costs (amount not specified)

I was given one day to take care of bills and any other business, then I was to return to my P.O. to start house arrest. I never returned. When I got home I found out I was being kicked out of my apartment because I violated my rental agreement by being arrested for drugs. I had no where else to go live (family out of state). I was afraid I was going to have to serve my time in jail and got scared. I did not understand my charges, I thought I would have been facing 4 years in jail. So I ran out of state and have been running ever since, 10 years now.

My question is how do I take care of this? What will be the consequences? These are my first and only charges ever, and where all misdeminors. I have been able to work and pay my taxes. I have a national block on my license, so I have not been able to drive ever since. I now have my own family and kids for 5 years now.

Is there any chance that the house arrest could be transfered to my current state? Will there be new charges applied since I ran?

Thank you for any advice!

Last edited:

racer72

I was never at anytime read any rights.
For the 1,384th time, Miranda is not required at the time of arrest, only prior to questioning after the arrest. At this point the issue is irrelevant.

Is there any chance that the house arrest could be transfered to my current state?
The odds are slim and none and slim is on his way out of town. The taxpayers of one state really hate picking up the tab for criminals from other states. Some states have reciprocity agreements with neighboring states for things like parole.

Will there be new charges applied since I ran?
You can count on that. I would suggest getting an attorney, you are in way over your head at this time.

ViolationHelp

Thank you for your reply.

The question now is what will be my consequences? Is there still a chance that I can do the house arrest in TN, or will I have to do jail time. From my understanding each charge was 3 months jail, reduced to house arrest. So is that a year jail time all together (besides new charges for violating)?

How severe will new charges be for violating. I know you may not know exact charge, but a general idea would be good.

I realize I have to get an attorney to find all this out, I am just wanting to know what to expect first. I am ready to get this behind me so I can live my life normal again.

PJ Weber

So is that a year jail time all together (besides new charges for violating)?
That is a distinct possibility
I realize I have to get an attorney to find all this out, I am just wanting to know what to expect first
Nobody knows what the courts will do

Best you'll get is a definite maybe

Abd ul-Shadiid

good luck

You made some pretty reckless, unwise, and inexcusable mistakes 10 years ago, but I do hope you've learned your lesson, and that you can put this behind you soon, with a minimum of disruption to the lives of your wife and children. It's always so sad when little ones are involved. :(

Just "take the long view": no matter how things end up nor how long it takes to reach that point, you can and will put this behind you and that will make for a much higher quality of life, wouldn't you say?

You seem like someone who genuinely wishes to do the right thing (now, at least :rolleyes:). Hang in there and best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">