• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of 4th amendment?! HELP :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IVTech09

I live in the state of Indiana.

Here is what happened: I am 22 years old. 16 months ago, A friend and I got into a disagreement and he assaulted me and would not stop so I ran and called the police.

I waited outside of my friends apartment for them to arrive.

They arrived, and they asked me what had happened. I told them. They went inside, and came back outside and asked, "Did you threaten to shoot him?" I said no, I did not.

They then asked if they could search my car: I kindly replied no, I do not consent to searches.

The police said, well why not, have something to hide?

I responded no, its my 4th amendment right under the US Constitution.

I swear on everything, this is what happened next.

2 of the 3 officers came over and held me down, and put me in handcuffs. They said, "**** your rights!" the third officer kept me seated on their police car while the other had taken my keys from my pocket, and unlocked my car. They then proceeded to search my car.

They found 3 doses of testosterone, a steroid. It is a Schedule III narcotic/controlled substance.

They asked if I knew what it was or who it belonged to and I said no, I do not.

They did NOT arrest me, write me a citation/ticket, NOTHING. They told me they would take it and test it for a controlled substance. If they did, a warrant would be issued for my arrest. They could have put me in a holding cell for up to 72 hours and that test would have come back within an hour or two!

This was SIXTEEN months ago, and JUST last week a warrant was issued. I was arrested and am now out on jail on bond. I am going to get a public defender and tell them the case.

My question is: can I get this case thrown out of court? Was the search illegal?

I did not consent to it, and they could have impounded my car and then got a warrant to search it, or even phoned a warrant and they did not. They simply put me in cuffs and said, "**** your rights." and began to search.

I'm joining the army, and even if this is knocked down to a misdemeanor I cannot join the army while on probation! I am hoping to get this case kicked out of court due to the fact that evidence obtained on an illegal search is dismissible in court.

What are your thoughts on this? What advice could be given here?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">