• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

waiting on charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hardrock45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Over a month ago the home of my sister and brother-in-law was searched, and they were charged with trafficking a controlled substance. It seems that one of them allegedly sold a controlled substance to a confidential informant. A week or so ago a deputy sheriff stopped by my house and asked me if I knew about them selling drugs,and I said no. He asked if he could search my house and I said no not unless you have a warrant. So he left. Last night this deputy sent me an email through my sister's my space log in stating that he could connect me with my sister and her drug ring and if I wanted to ask any questions or get anything off my chest I should call him before the door slams shut. What is going on with all this? I need some advice. What should I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last night this deputy sent me an email through my sister's my space log in stating that he could connect me with my sister and her drug ring ****************************...
I highly doubt this was any law enforcement official that did this. That would be so unprofessional, because it allows so much room for inadmissibility.

justalayman

I highly doubt this was any law enforcement official that did this. That would be so unprofessional, because it allows so much room for inadmissibility.
I disagree. Many law enforcement entities are using all means available to them to contact or investigate a person.

What the officer is doing (if it really is an officer. I do acknowledge that oldandtired could be correct about this not being an officer as well), is trying to elicit statements that would provide them with info or evidence to support a charge against you.

As to the admissability issue; oldandtired is correct with such but the cop may simply be seeking additional info to use to either allow a search warrant be issued or simply as a starting point for further investigation.

the officer may or may not have any info to tie you to your sisters activity and yes, police can lie to you to elicit info they are seeking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">