• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for my arrest because I missed court date, what do I do? NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gil229

I was caught purchasing marijuana in NY, but I had no ID, So I was given a court date for 1 month's time. The bag that had the paper with the date, time, and location was stolen, and I had forgot all bout the date. It was supposed to be for Sept. 29th. So there's a warrant for my arrest now. How do I handle this?

PS. I'm 18, and this was my first "offense"

justalayman

It wouldn't be a bad idea to hire a lawyer she/he may be able to deal with the FTA matter. If you don't wish to hire an attorney to try to keep you from getting arrested, you can either turn yourself in or wait until you have contact with the police some day and you are arrested for the warrant.

gil229

It wouldn't be a bad idea to hire a lawyer she/he may be able to deal with the FTA matter. If you don't wish to hire an attorney to try to keep you from getting arrested, you can either turn yourself in or wait until you have contact with the police some day and you are arrested for the warrant.
Once I turn myself, which is looking what I'm going to do, what's the process looking like? Am I going to jail over this?

quincy

Once I turn myself, which is looking what I'm going to do, what's the process looking like? Am I going to jail over this?
Jail is a possibility if you do not work to get the warrant vacated.

It would probably be smart for you to hire an attorney. The attorney can go to the clerk's office and file a motion to vacate the warrant and reschedule the hearing you missed.

You did not say how much marijuana you purchased so here is a link to New York's marijuana laws:

http://norml.org/laws/item/new-york-penalties-2

If you purchased more than 25 grams, you will be looking at a misdemeanor offense (at the very least). An attorney can be your best chance of escaping a criminal record.

You have certainly complicated matters for yourself by failing to appear in court, gil229. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">