• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We Desperately Need Help....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ByondFrustrated

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

OK - here's the deal - April 2009, this kid got in trouble for hitting is girlfriend, when the cops came to his home, they found a LARGE marijuana grow operation - he has a federal govt job, and in order for him not to lose his job - he agreed to make a buy of an ounce of pot in the presence of an under PA State Trooper., needless to say this undercover buy went down at my house in July of 2009.

On Jan 6th 2010, 2 plain clothes (a man and a woman) PA State Troopers came to my door at 8:30 am and asked to speak with my husband (who sold the pot to the CI and UC Trooper in July) when the plain clothed officers came to the door they introduced themselves to me as my husband’s "friends" and asked to speak with him - I asked who they were and all they gave me were first names, and said again that they were "friends" of his. I stated to them "I don't know you, how do you know my husband?" they said again, "We're his friends Mike and Jen" - we were dog sitting at the time, and the dog we were sitting was trying to get out of the door, I called my husband over to get the dog, they said his full name, he said "yes" then they announced "Pennsylvania State Police, we have a warrant for your arrest"

He said "OK, and let me come out on the porch” they said "No" and then walked into our home, pushing me out of the way. Then they stated "we smell the weed" and all of a sudden there were at least 8 uniformed officers in my living room.

When they were standing in the living room, one of the officers noticed behind our TV a small bag of weed, and said "I see it right here!" then they handcuffed my husband and asked to search the house. My Husband responded "Do you have a warrant?" to which they answered "No, but we can get one, it'll take a while, but we will wait here until it comes, then wait until your 7 yr old daughter comes home to initiate it, and we will take both of you to jail, and send her to Children and youth services" My husband was so scared at after they said that he agreed to sign a consent form - to which then the Troopers went thru our whole house and found approx 1lb of schwag, a baggie filled with roaches, papers, a scale, baggies, a bong, and in the basement a 8 ft grow tent set up (not in use) and some planter pots with dirt in them, and various chemicals used to grow plants. (Again none of this stuff was in use, just down there in the basement in a closed room behind an old dryer)

We hired a lawyer, who at first said that hubby should only get house arrest, possibly probation - he told us that his firm is in good standing with all the local Judges and that we would make out well.

The lawyer had hubby waive his right to a preliminary hearing, and we've gone before the central court judge twice already. It seems as though the ADA assigned to the case really wants Hubby to do State jail time - which is really disturbing b/c we feel as though all he should be facing is charges for the Undercover Sale - since the search of our home happened without a warrant and the consent was signed under distress.

Can someone help me figure this out, and by the way - the ADA hasn't given over any evidence to our lawyer, they said he can come into their office and look at the file, but wouldn't be submitting any evidence to him.

At our last hearing, our lawyer did a "Scheduling Hearing" requesting the judge to mandate the ADA produce their evidence by 3-19 - when we asked our lawyer why it's taking the ADA so long to submit their evidence, our lawyer said "they probably need time to gather their surveillance, they didn't just pull your house out of hat" - WTH? Did he not pay attention in the beginning, when we told him how this all came about - Hubby got set up by a wife-beater who didn't want to face up to what he did.

Anyone reading this, please respond to me with you opinion.. We've given the lawyer our electric bill statements for the past 2 yrs, which not one has gone over $75/mnth - to show as evidence there was not a grow operation here - we just had some weed, and sold it to a close group of friends, just this one time, a person we thought was a "friend" was really a RAT.

I really need an opinion from someone out side of our circle - someone to look at this story and tell me if we are getting screwed over by the lawyer/system.

Hubby has completely quit smoking weed (big time will power) started going to AA mtgs, and signed himself up for DATS (drug and alcohol treatment) all on his own - no one told him he had to - just to prove that he's not a bad guy and that he made a mistake....his "gravity score" is a 1, because he has no prior offenses - so we just can't understand why the ADA would be pushing for him to do anything like State time - by what I see - if anything he should plead to a Misdemeanor for selling less than 35 grams and pay a $5,000 fine (which is the statute in our state per the NORML website)

He is completely town up about all this and it's ruining our lives - he can't get a "good" job, other than working construction (like a slave) for min wage - it just sucks and I would like someone to tell me what is wrong with this picture??

Any help, thoughts, or ideas would be greatly appreciated - I will answer any questions you may have - I just need some help so that Hubby doesn't go to jail, we make an awesome family unit and couldn't do it without him.

JETX

Sorry, but there is NOTHING improper or illegal in the police conduct described in your post.
Simply, he did the crime.... and you knew it. Both of you need to learn a good lesson in accountability and responsibility.

ByondFrustrated

JETX - I am not aruging the fact that he did the crime (of selling an ounce of WEED to an CI and Undercover Trooper) nor the fact that I knew about it - we BOTH smoke weed and do it for medical purposes, yet it's not medically legal in our state, yet) - and he made the mistake of selling it to this "person" who came to our house with a stranger (undercover) - but does that really consitute STATE time in Prison?

With his criminal score being so low, and the type of drug (weed) being so minimal in nature - I would think that his punishment would match his crime - pay a fine and go on probation for a while, but to be looking at 5 years of STATE prison?? There are murderes who don't do time like that around here?

I am accountable for the fact that I smoke weed, I am an intelligent woman, who has a full time job making alot of $$ a year working from home, programming healther databases for large companies across the country - We are respnsible parents, our 7 yr old daughter is a straight A student who hasn't missed a day of school for any reason - she was not present when anything happened, in any way shape or form - we are just old pot heads who had trusted someone we thought was a friend.

So there was nothing wrng with the way they came into my house? They didn't announce who they were before the entered my home, they didn't have a proper search warrant, and got consent only after they threatened to take our daughter away....this does not seem right to me...

really, STATE time is acceptable in this situation?

He didn't sell weed on the street corner, nor did he sell it to children in or around a school zone - the people that came here we all grown adults, that made the decision to also smoke weed.

Proserpina

JETX - I am not aruging the fact that he did the crime (of selling an ounce of WEED to an CI and Undercover Trooper) nor the fact that I knew about it - we BOTH smoke weed and do it for medical purposes, yet it's not medically legal in our state, yet) - and he made the mistake of selling it to this "person" who came to our house with a stranger (undercover) - but does that really consitute STATE time in Prison?

With his criminal score being so low, and the type of drug (weed) being so minimal in nature - I would think that his punishment would match his crime - pay a fine and go on probation for a while, but to be looking at 5 years of STATE prison?? There are murderes who don't do time like that around here?

I am accountable for the fact that I smoke weed, I am an intelligent woman, who has a full time job making alot of $$ a year working from home, programming healther databases for large companies across the country - We are respnsible parents, our 7 yr old daughter is a straight A student who hasn't missed a day of school for any reason - she was not present when anything happened, in any way shape or form - we are just old pot heads who had trusted someone we thought was a friend.

So there was nothing wrng with the way they came into my house? They didn't announce who they were before the entered my home, they didn't have a proper search warrant, and got consent only after they threatened to take our daughter away....this does not seem right to me...

He didn't sell weed on the street corner, nor did he sell it to children in or around a school zone - the people that came here we all grown adults, that made the decision to also smoke weed.

Frankly, his jail term may be the least of your worries.

Isis1

who the weed is sold to, doesn't matter. it's illegal. on a state level AND a federal level.

ByondFrustrated

Frankly, his jail term may be the least of your worries.
And that answers my question how? Or was that your way of taking a jab at me for saying we are responsible parents?

Thank you for your time, sorry that it seems you can't help me with any real advice.

I will take my question elsewhere, and be sure not to let anyone take this forum seriously.

Proserpina

And that answers my question how? Or was that your way of taking a jab at me for saying we are responsible parents?

Thank you for your time, sorry that it seems you can't help me with any real advice.

I will take my question elsewhere, and be sure not to let anyone take this forum seriously.

?!!!!

Uh...no?

I was stating a simple fact - your husband and you may need to be concerned about child protection services becoming involved because you carried out a drug deal in your home.

Isis1

so you must have missed the part where drugs were involved in a house where a child is. you exposed your child to illegal activity. i'd be VERY concerned about CPS showing up and taking my child away. so much MORE then my husband spending a few years in jail.

ByondFrustrated

who the weed is sold to, doesn't matter. it's illegal. on a state level AND a federal level.
Thank you, I understand that it's illegal on both a State and Federal level, but my question is, is it resonable for him to be looking at 5 YEARS of state time for selling 1 ounce (28 grams) of weed?

I mean it wasn't like he had POUNDS of it, he wasn't a master distributor or anything like that.

I guess my point isn't getting across, that I am confused by the fact that he is looking at so much time in prison, for such a petty thing. It wasn't coke or herion or illegal pills - it was weed.

I would think that with all the other horrible other drugs out there, they would more concerned with them.

I've smoke weed for over 20 years of my life, and never once have I tried, or even wanted to, any other drug, and that includes alcohol or tobacco, so I doon't beleive the whole "gateway"thing..

again, I will ask, 5 years of STATE prison time is acceptable in this situation? No probation or work release, for being a first offense with a low criminal score.

I guess this is why I paid a lawyer, it would be his job to make sure he doesn't do state prison time.

thanks for nothing - I got no advice from this at all

Proserpina

Thank you, I understand that it's illegal on both a State and Federal level, but my question is, is it resonable for him to be looking at 5 YEARS of state time for selling 1 ounce (28 grams) of weed?

I mean it wasn't like he had POUNDS of it, he wasn't a master distributor or anything like that.

I guess my point isn't getting across, that I am confused by the fact that he is looking at so much time in prison, for such a petty thing. It wasn't coke or herion or illegal pills - it was weed.

I would think that with all the other horrible other drugs out there, they would more concerned with them.

I've smoke weed for over 20 years of my life, and never once have I tried, or even wanted to, any other drug, and that includes alcohol or tobacco, so I doon't beleive the whole "gateway"thing..

again, I will ask, 5 years of STATE prison time is acceptable in this situation? No probation or work release, for being a first offense with a low criminal score.

I guess this is why I paid a lawyer, it would be his job to make sure he doesn't do state prison time.

thanks for nothing - I got no advice from this at all

If you have an attorney, why are you here?

And why are you ignoring the very troubling part (at least it would trouble me a great deal) about your child?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
...is, is it resonable for him to be looking at 5 YEARS of state time for selling 1 ounce (28 grams) of weed?
Apparently so. After everything that's happened, you're still minimizing what you did. Despite "quitting" (for now?) attending AA, etc., your statements indicate a "what's the big deal?" attitude. The people who are going to decide your fate might very well agree with a maximum sentence to demonstrate to you and your husband exactly what the big deal is.

You also said at one point it was just to "a few close friends". Then later you said it was just to this one guy. Also, if you only sold it "this one time" and mostly grew it for personal use--why would you need scales and bags? You'd better work on your credibility before you go to court. You're not going to fool anybody with this "personal use for medical reasons" nonsense.

I'm pretty sure the law you broke doesn't say "this is illegal, unless you really disagree with this law and decide to smoke/grow/sell weed anyway". Stop trying to justify what you were doing.

The prosecutor will ask for the maximum, your attorney will push for the minimum. You'll end up with something within that scope. Your attitude and the fact that you did this in the home of seven year old child are going to be a big factor in determining where you land.

cyjeff

JETX - I am not aruging the fact that he did the crime (of selling an ounce of WEED to an CI and Undercover Trooper) nor the fact that I knew about it - we BOTH smoke weed and do it for medical purposes, yet it's not medically legal in our state, yet)
And let's stop here.

You self prescribe yourself an illegal drug... and that somehow makes it legal?

What, exactly, is this illness that you and your husband share that requires weed to cure?

- and he made the mistake of selling it to this "person" who came to our house with a stranger (undercover) - but does that really consitute STATE time in Prison?
Yes, yes it does... because we both know it wasn't his first sale, don't we?

Ah, the "weed isn't so bad so it shouldn't be punished" defense. Good luck.

None of which makes pot legal.

You could have waited for the search warrant. You didn't.

Yup.

Oh, so this WASN'T the first time he sold weed... to all these people that he, of course, checked the id's of before he sold them an illegal drug.

In front of your kid.

Wow.

cyjeff

Look at the positive.

The child has an excellent chance of growing up in a house that isn't also a drug depot.

It won't be with mom or dad, of course.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">