• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What about being charged, but I didn't do it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lilorfnannie

What is the name of your state? CT

Here's the scenario. I have a husband who is basically a high-functioning pothead. Goes to work, has a high-level job, etc etc., but he smokes just about every day as far as I know- does it in secret & doesn't let me or the kids see it. He used to smoke twice a day, at least, he still could be for all I know, but I do know he's still smoking it. I never have & never will touch pot or any drugs. I'm about to tell him to get all the pot & pot paraphernalia out of the house & off the property. Yeah I should have done that before. Nevermind what else I ought to be doing, I'm working on all that.

Here's my question. If he gets caught: #1, what if he gets the stuff out of the house & the shed, but puts it somewhere in the back woods, but on our property?

#2, What if he gets it off all those places, but keeps it in his car, and the car is parked on the property?

What I'm anticipating might happen is that either way, BOTH of us might get arrested for possession or whatever it is, and the kids get put in foster homes and thoroughly terrorized by the State. (there are no relatives within 12 hours' drive.)

#3, What about my getting nailed for knowing about the pot, and not reporting it to the police? How does that all work?

Thanks!

Lilorfnannie

Nothing. He hasn't been caught at it. Although I am fixing to tell him that if he doesn't get it all off, I'll call the police MYSELF.

I just wanted to know what the situation is, exactly.

tranquility

Legal answers and practical answers are often different. In theory, all the bad things you are afraid of happening could happen. In reality, the police won't care unless the kids get into it or they come to the house for some reason and find out about it. Then the pothead would tend to be arrested and that's about it. (Except if the kids got into it.)

smutlydog

Ok- cool. Thank you. It's extremely unlikely that the kids would get into it, or ever even know he smokes it.
Where I live if CPS gets called with a complaint about parents smoking dope they won't bother with it.

I like the keeping it in the shed locked away idea. I don't like the keeping it in his car idea.

Some Random Guy

I like the keeping it in the shed locked away idea. I don't like the keeping it in his car idea.
I agree. If he is a daily smoker and keeps it in his car, then you are running the risk of
A) Having his stash be considered as evidence of trafficking
B) Having the car impounded and sold
C) Getting yourself arrested if you are ever a passenger or driver of the car
D) Having the kids get at it

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree. If he is a daily smoker and keeps it in his car, then you are running the risk of
A) Having his stash be considered as evidence of trafficking
B) Having the car impounded and sold
C) Getting yourself arrested if you are ever a passenger or driver of the car
D) Having the kids get at it
E) Having the kids placed in foster care if dad is stopped with them and the pot in the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">