• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Can Cops Do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MoEHOwARd

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I've got an unfortunate situation here. This guy I know is on bad terms with me but I didn't realize how bad it was until now. He got arrested for selling marijuana and he told the police that I am the person that he got it from and that I have a lot more at my house. However, I actually have nothing at my house involving marijuana at all. I've never had anything to do with it and never plan to.

My question is what will the cops do with the information that this guy gave them? Are they going to come knock down my door and trash my house over some stupid idiot telling them lies? When they don't find anything are they going to continue to harass me and follow me everywhere I go?

I'm sorry I'm so flakey but I've never been in any kind of trouble and now this guy is trying to get me into trouble. Please help. Please let me know how to handle the cops if they do start giving me trouble.

M

MoEHOwARd

No I don't think so. I know they won't knock my door down but you know what I'm getting at. lol

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Okay, then let's work it from this angle - -

Does your house have wheels underneath, aluminum skirting, and an aluminum porch?

IAAL

M

MoEHOwARd

I know because all of our friends are telling me this. Besides, I've seen a few cops creeping around my house and they never did that before.

calatty

There is a good chance they will come to search. They may not have probable cause based on his word alone, but they will fabricate the missing pc. Maybe you should do some spring cleaning? If they have a warrant, there is nothing you can do but quiety submit. If they ask to search without a warrant, refuse.

O

oberauerdorf

Besides, I've seen a few cops creeping around my house and they never did that before.
Maybe they are there for the brownie. After all, cops have the best drugs :D

M

MoEHOwARd

What do you mean by fabricate the missing pc? Does that mean that they will tell the judge that they have probable cause when in reality they don't? Oh well, I'm not too worried unless they plant something while searching because I know I have nothing to hide. I just don't want the cops to continue following me even though they don't find anything. You know, like pulling me over just to search my car, stopping by the house and saying that they heard a disturbance, etc.

M

MoEHOwARd

Oh brother. :rolleyes: I'm so stupid. There, I said it for you Homeguru.;)

P

PCDEC

Just don't give them any PC and you may be ok.

Never give consent to search and never throw away anything in the trash except trash. Anything illegal or with your name on it isn't trash to police and they can use it against you.

smorr

I can't imagine the police would believe a con who's just been arrested for possession and trying to pin it on someone else. If the cops are hanging around, it's probably because they want to corroborate his story and see if there's any credibility to it. So, Calatty, you're ahead of yourself there since they can't search without a search warrant, can't get the warrant without probable cause, can't drum up probable cause without a viable reason. If you're clean, like you say you are, you shouldn't worry. Give them no reason and they have no probable cause.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">