• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redgts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My 19 year old step son has had a history of drug use and dealing. His mother and I are sure he is dealing and or selling pot. She is intimated by his size, big norwegian kid.

This past Saturday I overhead a conversation about "needing pot", "brown vs. green leaves", and "not like the mexican stuff" and "we have about an hour and a half to get it"

In re-arranging the basement we found a grinder which had the smell of pot too.

Can I contact the police based on what I heard and what little evidence I have?

In Ohio, are we liable for having this "grinder" here in the house?

This "kid" has been getting off from the law for a few years, at some point this has to change. We all need that "wake up call" in our lives and I am wondering if jail time will do it and get his life in order.

Thanks,

Redgts

Last edited:

FlyingRon

I would kick his ass out. By condoning his illegal activity you open yourself up for criminal charges. Further the fact that he is operating a drug dealing operation out of your house risks you forfeiture actions.

Ian_Y

I wouldn't turn him in, like Ron said it could end up getting you in trouble. What I really think you should do is start drug testing him, tell him it needs to end right away and begin drug testing him. If he fails, kick him out it's that easy he's 19 years old and if you feel like you would really want him in the house again, explain to him he needs to clean up his act and then MAYBE when he's clean, he can come back home. I personally think he should leave, and at this point perhaps stay out. Plus if you turn him in, odds are your relationship won't be very good after that. I have a friend who does this out of his mom's house and she has knowledge of it. She won't kick him out, but she always raids his car and takes his things to discourage him from doing it. Maybe searching your son's car/room and taking his scales/weed/bags whatever will help as a deterrent.

redgts

Thanks for the recommendations, I do apprecaite it quite a bit.

And now to make matters worse, this child has missed two GED classes at the local library. Talk about not trying to make something of yourself.

Maybe its me, maybe I am wrong.... :)

Antigone*

Thanks for the recommendations, I do apprecaite it quite a bit.

And now to make matters worse, this child has missed two GED classes at the local library. Talk about not trying to make something of yourself.

Maybe its me, maybe I am wrong.... :)
He is not a child. In the eyes of society he is a man even if he isn't behaving that way.

Both you and his mom need to let him be the man he's decided to be. That may require difficult and unpleasant decisions on your part but unless you give him a theorectical swift kick in the pants he's isn't going to change.

No one wants to see their loved one suffer but maybe two hots and a cott with a celly named Bubba is what he deserves. You certainly don't deserve to be living the way you have been.

If drugs were introduced into my home, I'd be the first one on the phone calling the police.

Before turnning him into the police, please take a few minutes and talk to a criminal defence attorney. They deal with situations like yours often and will probably have some good advice for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">