• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SOSneedhelp

I am 18 years old from NJ and dorm at my college in Pennsylvania. Earlier tonight I was hitting a wispr vape with my roommate and a friend, all 18(purchased with a prepaid debit card my roommate and I split – using cash) . We bought a dub (1 gram) earlier in the day and we smoked a little more than half of it in the vape, leaving a little less than a dime in the bag. There was a knocking on the door and we opened the door and the cop asks to come in, we wanted to make sure we cooperated so we let him in and we put I the vape away but he saw the dime bag and asked how we were burning it and one of us told him that it was a vape and we gave it to him. He asked if that was all the bud we had and we told him it was everything and then he asked me out in the hall because the bag was back on my work desk on my laptop. When we stepped in the hall he asked me if I had ever been in trouble, I told him that I hadn’t. He said that I would be charged for the bud and paraphernalia but lucky that there was barely any weed in the bag. He told me that I have to go to court and a letter will be sent to the address on my license in 4-6 weeks. Is there any way since I’m 18 that I can pay the fines and go to court without my parents finding out, this situation could be so much less stressful if I could handle that without having them go through it with me. thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am 18 years old from NJ and dorm at my college in Pennsylvania. Earlier tonight I was hitting a wispr vape with my roommate and a friend, all 18(purchased with a prepaid debit card my roommate and I split – using cash) . We bought a dub (1 gram) earlier in the day and we smoked a little more than half of it in the vape, leaving a little less than a dime in the bag. There was a knocking on the door and we opened the door and the cop asks to come in, we wanted to make sure we cooperated so we let him in and we put I the vape away but he saw the dime bag and asked how we were burning it and one of us told him that it was a vape and we gave it to him. He asked if that was all the bud we had and we told him it was everything and then he asked me out in the hall because the bag was back on my work desk on my laptop. When we stepped in the hall he asked me if I had ever been in trouble, I told him that I hadn’t. He said that I would be charged for the bud and paraphernalia but lucky that there was barely any weed in the bag. He told me that I have to go to court and a letter will be sent to the address on my license in 4-6 weeks. Is there any way since I’m 18 that I can pay the fines and go to court without my parents finding out, this situation could be so much less stressful if I could handle that without having them go through it with me. thank you
You are aware that court cases are PUBLIC, right? Maybe they won't see the summons sent to their address and question you about what you are getting. This situation would be nonexistent if you had followed the law. For what are you being charged? Some drug crimes can result in denial for financial aid. If you didn't want the stress of people finding out you do drugs, you shouldn't do drugs.

dave33

You are 18 now, of course you can do this alone. If you don't want them to know then don't tell them.

It seems a little ridiculous in this situation, your parents finding out is your only concern. You can never ever take legal advice from the police, which means you may be better off telling your parents and getting a lawyer involved.

SOSneedhelp

I'm under the impression that I'm being charged with possession of a minuscule amount and paraphernalia. Yes, I understand that I was making a big mistake and it was stupid to do what I did but if there is any possible way that a college student could pay off the fines (or would they be in the thousands of dollars - the max penalty for the vape I believe is $2,500 would they really go that far?) The officer also thanked me out in the hall for being cooperative and told me that it would help me later on is there any significant amount of difference in the way people handle 'being caught' that helps or hurts them? Also is there anything I should be doing in between now and when the letter is sent to my house besides calling my parents and not smoking obviously? thanks again

Just Blue

I'm under the impression that I'm being charged with possession of a minuscule amount and paraphernalia. Yes, I understand that I was making a big mistake and it was stupid to do what I did but if there is any possible way that a college student could pay off the fines (or would they be in the thousands of dollars - the max penalty for the vape I believe is $2,500 would they really go that far?) The officer also thanked me out in the hall for being cooperative and told me that it would help me later on is there any significant amount of difference in the way people handle 'being caught' that helps or hurts them? Also is there anything I should be doing in between now and when the letter is sent to my house besides calling my parents and not smoking obviously? thanks again
You are a LEGAL adult that made a choice to use ILLEGAL drugs. I am sure you, as a college student, are able to either google State Stat's or hire an attorney.

Good Luck.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So the summons will go to your address. If you fail to show up at the proper time, a warrant will be issued. In addition, the school could take steps to discipline you -- including expulsion. Then what will you tell your parents?

dave33

He probably thanked you because if you did not cooperate he could not have charged you. I guess he is pretty much saying "thanks for making my job easy and screwing yourself". Get it now?
I amnot sure about the fines and what simple poss. is in your state. If it is a misdemeanor than you should have an attorney if you want to know what your rights are,how best to handle the situatuion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">