• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can they do to me in Virginia????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

iluvhellokitty

A friend of mine was at a concert and while she was lighting a bowl of marijuana for someone, the cops came up to her and now they want her to give them names of people who sell marijuana. What can they do to her if she doesn't give them names? It's not a crime to light a bowl for someone is it? She's only 15 and they didn't see her smoking.

racer72

Lighting pot, holding a pipe of pot, touching anything containing pot, you are in possession whether it belongs to to them or not. And a story of lighting it for someone else is real lame. Someone else once said they did not inhale while lighting pot. If she squeals and a bust is made later, she probably gets her hand slapped. She clams up, she will most likely get probation and gets to attend a drug deferral class. Plus a criminal record that will mess things up for her till she turns 21.

calatty

Not so. Possession means the right to control. It is at least debatable whether lighting someone else's marijuana gives you control of that marijuana. I would argue it does not, any more than lighting someone's cigarette makes the cigarette yours. In general, talking to the police is more likely to hurt than help you. It will not cause the charges or the sentence to be reduced, unless it is a formally arranged deal between your lawyer and the DA. You have no obligation to talk to police, and it is a good idea not to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">