• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

detric19

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was caught with a small amount of Canibus in my car while driving home to florida. I was not under the influence, it was in my trunk. I have no prior record and am back in Illinois for my court apperance. I am trying to discover what to say to the judge and what could happen to me.

gawm

Why did you get pulled over?How did they find it in your trunk? Did you give permission to search?

danno6925

More info needed

I was caught with a small amount of Canibus in my car while driving home to florida
First off, cannibis does not contain a u - it's all about I and I, mon. So how do you define "small amount"?

was not under the influence, it was in my trunk.
Why was the officer/trooper looking in your trunk in the first place? Did he have your permission to do so? If you gave him permission, it was a legal search. If not, try to have your attorney subpoena the dashcam of the trooper's cruiser.

I am trying to discover what to say to the judge
I would let my attorney do all of the talking and speak only when directly spoken to by the judge.

and what could happen to me.
Depends on what else you were stopped for. Cops aren't yet good enough to look at a car and say "Danged if that driver ain't got a small amount of cannibis in his trunk. Les' git im!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">