• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what if pot *was* to be legalized?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zypher

think about it, what would happen if marijuana was to be legalized in the next presidency, what would happen to all the marijuana related drug charges? would they all be instantaneously dropped? or would they still remain? it makes no sense to still have these charges attributed to us if it is legalized, it's just outright stupid.

las365

A similar situation would be the lifting of Prohibition. If you are interested, you might research what happened to people charged with making and/or distributing alcoholic beverages at that time.

CdwJava

think about it, what would happen if marijuana was to be legalized in the next presidency, what would happen to all the marijuana related drug charges? would they all be instantaneously dropped? or would they still remain? it makes no sense to still have these charges attributed to us if it is legalized, it's just outright stupid.
A president cannot just LEGALIZE marijuana. Any legislation would take time to come into being, and any violations of the law would have to be dealt with based upon the law at the time of the offense.

Fortunately, aside from a few states that are a little loopy - mine included - marijuana is not likely to become a legal substance in the near future.

- Carl

circlelimit4

What of decriminalization? Are violations committed prior to new legislature subject to punishments of prior laws given the hearing takes place after the legislature is passed? Is it a case-by-case deal? And can it work the other way, such as penalties becoming stiffer?

CdwJava

What of decriminalization? Are violations committed prior to new legislature subject to punishments of prior laws given the hearing takes place after the legislature is passed? Is it a case-by-case deal? And can it work the other way, such as penalties becoming stiffer?
It depends on the law. If a new law grants absolution to all prior offenders convicted of a specific code section, then they could be let go (depending on the legislation). I wouldn't expect that, however, as such a thing would be unprecedented to my knowledge.

Any new law would have an enactment date and until the new law were enacted, the OLD law would apply.

Rarely can penalties be made STIFFER for offenses committed prior to the enactment of legislation mandating stiffer penalties. These sorts of 'ex post facto' laws are generally forbidden in most (if not all) states.

- Carl

Shay-Pari'e

And who is running that you think is going to leaglize it? Obama? Clinton? Don't worry, it won't happen.

CdwJava

Fortunately, aside from a few states that are a little loopy - mine included - marijuana is not likely to become a legal substance in the near future.
Oh...you don't mean this...that CA. is a little loopy? LOL (if any state legalizes it, it would be CA. 1st.)
Have you ever heard of Bolinas Ca.? It is a pot smokers haven. It is a very small town in Marin. Right at the water. ALL of the old hippies from S.F. reside there. They actually take down any/all road signs constantly as they want to be there own little world. It is a trip. My oldest brother lives there. He IS an old hippie. No car, phone, bills, and not a worry in the world. They grow it, smoke it and openly and freely. No one cares...when you drive down the main st. you would actually think it was the old Haight & Ashbury St. S.F. of back in the day... The problem is they are ALL OLD. The old hippies. Murals of psychedilic paintings on all the bldgs. and everything.

I for one am definitely against actually legalizing it. Or we will ALL end up like Bolinas CA.

CdwJava

Oh...you don't mean this...that CA. is a little loopy? LOL (if any state legalizes it, it would be CA. 1st.)
For all real effects, it is.

Did you realize that a minor in possession of marijuana suffers less hardship than if they possess a cigarette or alcohol?

It is also the only crime in CA where the record is PURGED after two years automatically.

Have you ever heard of Bolinas Ca.?
Yep ... population about 1,500, 90% Anglo, middle class income level (low end middle class for Marin County) ...

It is a pot smokers haven.
I haven't heard that.

They grow it, smoke it and openly and freely. No one cares...when you drive down the main st. you would actually think it was the old Haight & Ashbury St. S.F. of back in the day... The problem is they are ALL OLD. The old hippies. Murals of psychedilic paintings on all the bldgs. and everything.
Probably why no one really cares ... there is no one there TO care.

I for one am definitely against actually legalizing it. Or we will ALL end up like Bolinas CA.
I am against legalization as well, for a host of reasons.

- Carl

Yep ... population about 1,500, 90% Anglo, middle class income level (low end middle class for Marin County) ...
Low end middle class...for Marin County that is for sure. Yep...and why do you think that is? One of the richest counties of CA. yet this itty bitty town is low end middle class???

Cuz they are ALL stoned I tell ya' pure and simple. The entire town is stoned all the time. My folks cannot even reach my brother. He's "happy" though. Has a little land scaping business called Bob's World. The problem with his business cards??? No phone. lol
:p:p:p:p:p:)

Curt581

I'd be mildly interested in finding out if Bolinas CA has a higher instance of lung cancer or respiratory illnesses.

I just find it ironic that some of the loudest backers of anti-cigarette smoking ordnances also tend to be the same people who want marijuana legalized.

Quote: I'd be mildly interested in finding out if Bolinas CA has a higher instance of lung cancer or respiratory illnesses. Well...My brother is 60. He is as healthy as a horse. I KID YOU NOT...I think it is because he has no stress, no car thus rides a bike ALL the time. "Go figure"...Has smoked pot nearly ALL his life. I can't even say he is a black sheep, never arrested or hurt anyone. A stoned sheep fits... It's now been a few years...since anyone has seen him...(HAY...SHAY PARI...WHERE ARE YOU DEAR??? NOW SHE GOES INTO HIDING. LOL (private joke)

That is a very good question though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">