• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is needed for drug conviction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kitsune

Haha! i take it the police wouldn't want to waste money trialing a persons sanity, so they would have to rely on at least 2 other witnesses, and a possible dispute if the accused denied the accusatioins.

well.. that definately narrows down what i was getting at.

thanx for the info.

racer72

Without reading all the posts, I can offer this. I know someone that was convicted of distribution of illegal drugs based on the testimony of 2 "customers". He was never caught with the product, he was never caught selling the product, he was never caught with anything related to the product. Just 2 guys that were busted with the product offered to testify to cover their butts.

CdwJava

Sorry for any confusion. what i was mainly geting at, is If a drug dealer, or basicly anyone who had commited a crime was to walk up and admit to a Police officer, or any other legal enforcment officer, and admit/confess to a crime, without any further evidence with the exeption of a witness. Basicly the only evidence being one to three peoples word and nothing more. If that would be enough for conviction.
Generally, a confession without any other evidence of a crime would NOT be sufficient to brin a case to trial. A confession absent ANY OTHER PROOF is insufficient to bring charges. However, other witnesses, forensics, bank accounts (for financial crimes), property, etc. can all be brought in to show that a crime occurred.

Such a confession could lead to deeper digging by the cops to try and determine if a crime occurred and they just might find something.

- Carl

CdwJava

Last Q! lol: 3 is the minimum? so to say that the persons confession alone wouldn't stand without the other 2 witnesses?
No. In fact, they might not need ANY other witnesses ... provided they have something more than a confession. Sometimes even a confession with some evidence is insufficient.

I once had a parolee in possession of cheap jewelry from Long's Drugs - the items still had the labels and tags on them. He confessed to stealing the items. However, NO ONE at the store recalled seeing him, their surveillance cameras did not cover the display where the items were, and he lived alone so no one could even say he was out of the house at the time. He gave us all the details and still we could not bring it to trial because we had no a sliver of additional evidence. The kicker was that had he bought the items he would have received them with the same backs and tags on them, so we couldn't even use the packaging against him.

- Carl

Kitsune

I thank you veary much, thos last 2 posts made all the difference.

In the valley i live in, almost everyone is into the drug scene around here, and many people i've known growing up have been involved in variouse parts of it, from consumption to dealing as a basic source in town.. I posted this looking for info on behalf of the ones who have quit all of that and are living a clean, productive life now. Many of them on this note seem to be living "haunted by the shadow of their past" as i put it, but really their just worried they cant speak openly about things that happened years in the past unless its to a well trusted friend....
I cant really concieve on this note how any evidence that once existed on behalf of this kind of thing could still be legitamate, unless a photograph or video was around, and even in some cases like that, that doesn't allways directly prove Dealing, so much as possesion or consumption. Most of the other types would be expired by now, or simply invaled to to wethering.. memories arent exact about times or specifics of happenings, finger prints eventualy smudge or erode, and the homes these people lived in or did these things in are occupied by others between these times and ect. ect.
And these people who are now trying to live a proper life style just dont seem to be able to do so happily on behalf of worries having to do with their past, most of them still have a clean record even! perhaps this information will grant a bit more peace in these peoples lives. Also maybe theill be able to speak freely about things of their past without cringing or checking every angle to make sure no one else is listening lol.

thanx once again.

Kitsune

Anyone else have further validation of such information?

If a confession + a wintess is enough.. or if more is needed, and how much more? Some of the people i know would be willing to turn themselves in to get over it, but just need to know what they need to do so, if they need to do so... ugh... i'm geting tired of being the middle man :p.

CdwJava

If they want to unburden their souls they can make a report to the police and see where it goes. But, depending on WHAT they want to confess, the police may just shake their heads and say, "Go away."

- Carl

Kitsune

Carl, your a saint!... trust me.. if this doesn't lead to great hapenings, at least for them, but hopefully for Society its self... I'll be the first to let them know, if that doesn't work.. then the police will be. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">