• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do? (Marijuana charge)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TIER drop

ok so a few weeks ago me and some "friends" got pulled over and one of the dudes i was with ended up getting a possession charge for marijuana. He's already been to prison before and if he takes this charge he's going to go back and ive never had any charges like this or anything before and eventhough it wasn't on me, it was technically mine. The cops just randomly charged him with possession because everyone took out stuff they had and put it wherever in the car when we got pulled over. I never had anything on me but im the only one that can save him and if i don't, it's probably going to end up a lot worse with me getting my ass beat etc.

So i have to go in tomorrow and talk to an investigator but i don't want to take the charges either because my parents will KILL me cuz ive been in enough trouble lately and i dont want it on my record etc.

I'm wondering what would be the best thing to do in this messed up situation so i don't get anything serious, and so he doesn't get the charge.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated. I live in Iowa BTW - Someone suggested i tell the investigator that he just wanted me to take the charge and im afraid for my life but i dont want to be in some witness protection program lol.

Thanks.

justalayman

Someone suggested i tell the investigator that he just wanted me to take the charge and im afraid for my life but i dont want to be in some witness protection program lol.
you don't really believe you would have a witness protection program offered to you do you?

Just in case you do; no, there is no chance of you being put in a witness protection program so don't worry about that.

TIER drop

you don't really believe you would have a witness protection program offered to you do you?

Just in case you do; no, there is no chance of you being put in a witness protection program so don't worry about that.
ok lol, but if i do say im afraid for my life and i don't know who's it was for sure, am i going to end up in court or what?

justalayman

you are going to end up being either a witness or a defendant in this deal and there is really nothing you can do about it.

One thing you need to understand: even if you make claim of the pot, the police may basically say they don't believe you and still charge the other guy. What you said at the time of the stop has not been forgotten. If you said it wasn't yours and now you want to claim it, first, it will look suspicious and then, you could be charged with obstruction of justice and your friend could still go to prison.

you should really speak with an attorney before speaking to the police. He might help you from causing yourself a lot of problems

TIER drop

you are going to end up being either a witness or a defendant in this deal and there is really nothing you can do about it.

One thing you need to understand: even if you make claim of the pot, the police may basically say they don't believe you and still charge the other guy. What you said at the time of the stop has not been forgotten. If you said it wasn't yours and now you want to claim it, first, it will look suspicious and then, you could be charged with obstruction of justice and your friend could still go to prison.

you should really speak with an attorney before speaking to the police. He might help you from causing yourself a lot of problems
do you have an IM or something i could talk to you on possibly?

justalayman

I did read your PM though and the best advice I can offer is to hire an attorney.

What you suggested could actually get more charges for the guy. Threatening a witness is illegal. If you think the guy is pissed now, just wait when they throw more charges on him based on what you said.

You simply need to get an attorney. Respectfully decline to attend an interview without an attorney until you hire an attorney.

TIER drop

I did read your PM though and the best advice I can offer is to hire an attorney.

What you suggested could actually get more charges for the guy. Threatening a witness is illegal. If you think the guy is pissed now, just wait when they throw more charges on him based on what you said.

You simply need to get an attorney. Respectfully decline to attend an interview without an attorney until you hire an attorney.
what other charges would they give him?

TIER drop

intimidating a witness

obstruction of justice

and I am sure there are some others
alright im going to get a lawer, but if i say the weed was mine which is what ill have to do most likely, is the lawer going to help the "sting" of the charge so to speak or what exactly?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">