• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what should I expect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalizeIt

I am from Michigan and was recently set up by an acquantance. He text messaged me and asked me to get him and 8th of marijauna. I went to his house and picked up the $25 which I later found out was marked by undercover officers. When I left the guys house the undercover officers followed me to the place I bought it at. When I got back to the buyers house and handed him the bag undercover officers came out of the closet and bedroom and arrested me. The officers told me that I was being arrested for delivering and manufacturing marijuana. They told me that I would be charged with a felony unless I narced. I told them that I would to keep myelf ouy of jail. Now they want me to set up a buy and said that I might have to do another one after that. This is my first ever drug charge. I have had other misdomeanor charges the latest being 2 years ago. Can I actually be charged as a felon even though I was just the middleman? What are my options. Can my charges get reduced without narcing since it is my first offence? I don't want to narc but I also don't want to be charged with a felony. What can a public defender really do for me?

The Occultist

Yes, you can be charged with thess things, and likely be convicted.

It is my understanding that you do NOT want to be a part of these controlled situations as they could easily put you into a worse situation.

If this is indeed your first offense, then I'm fairly certain you can avoid a large part of this trouble. My advice is as follows: do not make deals with the police (I am in no way putting police officers down, just trying to help you avoid a potentially dangerous situation), sit down with an attorney or two (many will offer free/cheap consultations, so take advantage!), if you have the means retain an attorney, and then (hopefully with an attorney's help) attempt to plea-bargain the charges down.

EDIT: Hey Carl, I don't think I've ever read any insight from you on controlled buys; what are your thoughts?

You should expect to become a convicted felon, unless you cooperate. This may be your first narcotics offense but the fact you have other misdemeanors on your record will weigh in. To be fair, nobody in this forum can tell the future. It would be an excellent idea to get a lawyer and to STOP DOING DRUGS!

zotech

I would agree with the last response! Also, understand something! Once you become a NARC for the police, you will officially be on their notepad as a person they can go to to set and arrange buys. This puts you in a very dangerous situation.

The Police are essentially using you to more or less be their gofer to make bigger arrest! Essentially they are extorting you!

IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, GET AN ATTORNEY AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE! Public Defenders while useful in some cases, rarely get charged dismissed! In most cases, they will make a plea bargain which will result in an expungeable felony after 2 years (if it's a first offense), drug classes..usually 4 of them, and sometimes a curfew depending on if you are employed or not. Also, as a condition of the probabtion, you cannot have any incounters with police or official law enforcement.

The bad part is, once the 2 years probabtion has been satisfied, they may say you have to wait an additional 18 months before it can be CONSIDERED for expungement!

Bottom line, get a lawyer....and if you are living in the neigborhood where the buy took place, move!

The police will continue to hastle you every time they see you, to narc or make buys on their behalf!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">