• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Will The Next Court Date Bring?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsKita08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Ok 2 of my friends and I were charged with possession of marijuana less than ounce & we went to court on the 4th but they said that if we weren't pleading guilty then we have to come back April 27. The only thing is our arresting officer is in Afganistan. I honestly dont believe that he'll be back in time for our next court appearance. So what I want to know is will they give us a later court date or dismiss it next time we go? Because I know they cant do anything without him, he's a witness.

outonbail

If the arresting officer is not able to return for your trial and there was no other officer involved who can testify, the DA will probably offer you a sweetheart deal to plead guilty without going to trial.

If you refuse and want to go on with fighting the charges at trial, the DA can withdraw the charges and as long as the arresting officer returns within a year of the date of the offense, they can refile the charges at that time.

If they are forced to do this, you will not be offered another sweetheart deal the second time around, if and when the charges are re-filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">