• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's the best option

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help17

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My 17 year old was stopped and charged with no tag light and possession of marijuana. The vehicle had a new bumper put on and the body shop did not hook the light back up. The wires were dangling underneath. The marijuana was not on my child's person, but underneath the seat (maybe, but not sure). Another occupant in the vehicle was charged with possession of cocaine and this occupant admitted to the cocaine as being his. Should my child have an attorney for this proceeding? The bench trial is scheduled for mid-January. Also, he's been in a YDC for possession and intent to distribute. (We're assuming those records are sealed, and this was recent, but he was 16). He has his GED and he's working. We've heard he could lose his license, have a hefty fine, and probation. This arrest occurred in another county; so if his license is suspended can he request a work permit for driving and going to the probation officer, if he gets one?
By-the-way, this county has a zero tolerance for drugs.
Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

The Occultist

Unfortunately, underneath the seat does fit within the legal definition of possession, so your son, legally speaking, is guilty. A lawyer will certainly be to your son's benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">