• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife Arrested -- Please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Finlandia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My life just changed permanently.
Picked my wife up for lunch, backed out of driveway and see a police car behind us. Pulls us over a block later and goes straight to my wife's side, asks her name, she gets out, he cuffs her and puts her in the back seat.
He rattled off the charges so I don't remember them all but I think it was 9 counts prescription forgery, some amount of fraud and some amount of trafficking. The last one because the pills went over a certain amount. This happened 15 minutes ago and I don't know .. to do.

Can anyone offer any advice while I figure out what to ask?
I left a message with a lawyer and guess I'll shop around - have no idea where to start.

They asked me if I knew about it and I said no. I take Meds and they said maybe she was getting them for me. I told them not the case, I get a scrip every month.

Other than a lawyer can I do anything? Three detectives pulled up and one told me to call him if I want to talk. I don't guess that'll help her out?

They didn't even search her purse, much less our car. Almost like they felt bad abt all the charges and didn't want to tack anything on.

Do I need to worry about being charged with something? They said they found it hard to believe I didn't know abt it. Maybe it sounds selfish to ask about me but we have a little girl and if something happens to me our family disappears like it never existed.

Please, any advice?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My life just changed permanently.
Picked my wife up for lunch, backed out of driveway and see a police car behind us. Pulls us over a block later and goes straight to my wife's side, asks her name, she gets out, he cuffs her and puts her in the back seat.
He rattled off the charges so I don't remember them all but I think it was 9 counts prescription forgery, some amount of fraud and some amount of trafficking. The last one because the pills went over a certain amount. This happened 15 minutes ago and I don't know to do.

Can anyone offer any advice while I figure out what to ask?
I left a message with a lawyer and guess I'll shop around - have no idea where to start.

They asked me if I knew about it and I said no. I take Meds and they said maybe she was getting them for me. I told them not the case, I get a scrip every month.

Other than a lawyer can I do anything? Three detectives pulled up and one told me to call him if I want to talk. I don't guess that'll help her out?

They didn't even search her purse, much less our car. Almost like they felt bad abt all the charges and didn't want to tack anything on.

Do I need to worry about being charged with something? They said they found it hard to believe I didn't know abt it. Maybe it sounds selfish to ask about me but we have a little girl and if something happens to me our family disappears like it never existed.

Please, any advice?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You knew this was coming, why didn't you contact an attorney for her some time ago.

I reported your post because cussing is not allowed in our forum. I edited your expletive (even though it was initials).​

Last edited:

Finlandia

She was paranoid it would give her away.

Did u really want to know or do u just like trying to make people feel guilty when they are at the lowest point of their life?

Antigone*

Finlandia

As for the lawyer (don't know how to quote your post)-- I appreciate the advice and just got off the phone with guy with good experience.

They said she'd be ready to picked up on an hour and she just text mssg and said I could get her soon; so I guess she had to weather the questions by herself. She knows not to say anything.

Antigone*

As for the lawyer (don't know how to quote your post)-- I appreciate the advice and just got off the phone with guy with good experience.

They said she'd be ready to picked up on an hour and she just text mssg and said I could get her soon; so I guess she had to weather the questions by herself. She knows not to say anything.
Hope things go well for you and your wife.

Finlandia

How long does one stay in jail if the 10% of bond can't be afforded? (10% of 500,000 = $50,000. Don't have it lying around.) Is it correct that one does NOT get that money back?
The lawyer said something about a 'first court date', but I don't remember if he said that would be the end of her stay. I spent the evening down there trying to get them to let me talk to her or send a message or something. I ended up waiting 1hr to ask a question of the nurse and then she couldn't make it for some reason. It's kind of hard to work out family finances when they won't let u talk to your wife. I have to set an Appt -- it seems like our 'Rights' would go a little further than that, but this is my first experience with the legal system.

justalayman

Finlandia;2267098]How long does one stay in jail if the 10% of bond can't be afforded? (10% of 500,000 = $50,000. Don't have it lying around.)
until trial and if found guilty, until the sentence is served.

Is it correct that one does NOT get that money back?
that would depend. There are two ways of posting bond. In some areas, you have to use a bail bondsman. In that case, no, you do not get your money back.

In others, the court carrys the bond and you do get most of your money back. If there are fines or penalties involved, it is often taken to pay for those first and the remainder returned to the payor. You can ask the court how their bonding system works.

A little hint; if there are bail bondsman offices around the courthouse, the system in place is most likely the first one I described.

The lawyer said something about a 'first court date', but I don't remember if he said that would be the end of her stay.
she has to be arraigned. That would be her first court date. This is where they list the charges. Again, in some courts, an automatic "not guilty" in entered for the defendant. They then can bond out if available and have the money to do so. If she is actually required to enter a plea, a not guilty is typical so that way, a defense can be established and off to court she goes.

I spent tha message or something. e evening down there trying to get them to let me talk to her or send
she is pretty much inaccessible to you right now. There may be some visitation time available. Ask the jailer.

It's kind of hard to work out family finances when they won't let u talk to your wife.
it may be so you need to persevere on your own, at least for awhile.

I have to set an Appt -- it seems like our 'Rights' would go a little further than that, but this is my first experience with the legal system.
There are rules and it is just the way it is. Work with them because trying to fight the rules will get you nothing but frustration.

an attorney would be a really good idea. Generally, unless there is some reason for her to not be allowed to see an attorney, they can generally speak with their clients a lot easier than you can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">