• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will DA tell me the evidence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bella817

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Can I get the DA to tell me what kind of evidence they have on me before my court date and w/ out a lawyer? (For a drug charge)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will need to learn the procedures of the court. A local law library might be a good start.

But, you really need an attorney, unless you are the fastest study in the land!

Bella817

Why..

B/c it will cost $750 for District Court(which it will either be dropped b/c theres not enough evidence or go to Superior Court b/c theres is lots of evidence) & Superior Court will cost $1,500 now I dont have the $ to pay both fees thats why I want to know how to get evidence from the DA b/c I dont understand why a lawyer can get it but I cant

Isis1

B/c it will cost $750 for District Court(which it will either be dropped b/c theres not enough evidence or go to Superior Court b/c theres is lots of evidence) & Superior Court will cost $1,500 now I dont have the $ to pay both fees thats why I want to know how to get evidence from the DA b/c I dont understand why a lawyer can get it but I cant
you actually can. you just have to know the procedure and what forms to file in order to access the discovery.

dave33

Bella817, I don't understand where you are getting your numbers from and what they are supposed to represent.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Last I checked, if you can't afford a lawyer, they'll get you one.

dave33

Regardless, Last I checked they do not send you a bill for the full amount of your case,or any bill at all. That's the whole point of not being able to afford it. Also, I don't know what this paying twice means. Looks like o.p. believes he pays seperately depending on what court. Bella817, I think you are misinformed about many things.Perhaps if you explain with more detail you wi8ll get a relevant answer. goodluck.

Bella817

I guess u need more detail

1st I already signed a paper saying i waived my rights for a court apointed attoney ( I dont think there any good) 2nd I'm getting my numbers from my lawyer I've used him in the past he is very good and the reason u have 2 pay twice is b/c Disrict court is different then Superior court if u have to go to Superior court its a very serious matter and harder to get out of and court cost are more then Disrict court. The Da told me they dont just give u info u have motions 2 file and papers to fill out but wont give me the info on how 2 do that. if u guys read my other post "Charged for what" u might understand the case better and why I'm wondering if I should get a lawyer- Bottom line is thers no evidence if so I dont know what or should I say who

dave33

You need a lawyer. A lot of people are not happy with the way the p.d. handles their case. The problem is that you get what you pay for, the legal world is no different. The d.a. will absolutely give you no help. Their job is to secure a guilty verdict ande see you punished accordingly. That most certainly makes them the enemy, even if you did get some info. it would not be reliable as your agendas are different. Do not seek legal advice from the police or d.a. The motion he is talking about is probably a motion for discovery. He could turn this over to you w/out the motion, sounds like he is doing you no favors. Get a lawyer. You never mentioned if you planned on going to trial or taking a plea. In my state if a plea is most likely forthcoming than discovery is usually waived and the procedure moves ahead. The problem is that once you start filing motions whatever plea existed, exists no more. It's for things like this you need a lawyer, even if inly to ask questions. Maybe you were mistaken during your original assesment as t whether or not you needed counsel. Maybe you can try to see if you can re-visit the attorney issue. Regardless, even if you retained counsel, you pay them by the case or the hour. You pay 1 time for 1 case. Try and explain you made a mistake and have no income and realized you do need help. You simply don't have the knowledge or experience to go it alone. It's about damage control at this point. goodluck.

Bella817

thanks Dave33 you've been helpful and the next court date is mid feb this will be the 3rd time going we've got it cont. the other 2 times and the plea in not gulity. when we go to court next time the lawyer will be there (i guess) and I guess we'll just have to wait and see what he can do or what evidence the da has. did you by any chance read my other post about the actual case? what do you think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">