• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

written arrest for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ghost420

FLORIDA!

i received a written arrest the other night for possession of marijuana (less than 20 grams) and paraphernalia. i was told that i have to appear in court on a specified date/time, and that a lawyer was not necessary... i feel uncomfortable going to court without an attorney, do they appoint public defenders in misdemeanor cases such as this?? if i am assigned a public defender are they unaware of my case until the court date or will i be able to speak with them prior to the court date? i have no idea who to call with these questions.

i was arrested for DUI in 2012, and was arrested (but NOT found guilty) for 2 felonies in 2013.

i'm wondering what type of consequences i should expect to be facing? i expect court fees and most likely fines, but am i looking at probation or drug testing? also does this affect my drivers licence or insurance?

also, once marijuana is legalized should i be able to get these charges expunged?

any insight would be appreciated!!!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

If you are indigent you can get a public defender. Your initial appearance is likely limited to saying "NOT GUILTY" (never say anything else without counsel) and (if you may qualify) I would like a public defender. You will fill out an affidavit to see if you qualify (along with a $50 fee). You can see the affidavit here: http://www.pdmiami.com/indigent.pdf

ghost420

I was with a friend when I got the written arrest but I told the officer I would not answer any questions without an attorney present and my friend said the same, but because the marijuana was found in my car I was the one who received the charges. Neither one of us admitted guilt.

How would I prove I'm indigent? I am currently unemployed and have not had income in the past month. If I'm understanding you correctly, I wouldn't be able to find out whether I'd be eligible for a public defender until the court date?

Silverplum

So many people don't answer the state question, so I had to smile at your enthusiastic answer. :)

ghost420 said:
i received a written arrest the other night for possession of marijuana (less than 20 grams) and paraphernalia. i was told that i have to appear in court on a specified date/time, and that a lawyer was not necessary... i feel uncomfortable going to court without an attorney, do they appoint public defenders in misdemeanor cases such as this?? if i am assigned a public defender are they unaware of my case until the court date or will i be able to speak with them prior to the court date? i have no idea who to call with these questions.

i was arrested for DUI in 2012, and was arrested (but NOT found guilty) for 2 felonies in 2013.

i'm wondering what type of consequences i should expect to be facing? i expect court fees and most likely fines, but am i looking at probation or drug testing? also does this affect my drivers licence or insurance?
http://norml.org/laws/item/florida-penalties

If you were driving, I'm sure a conviction would affect your insurance, but can't answer because I'm not your insurance company. Your license, I don't know.

ghost420 said:
also, once marijuana is legalized should i be able to get these charges expunged?
You have high hopes (pun not intended when I began the sentence.) ;) That's not something we could answer.

FlyingRon

How would I prove I'm indigent? I am currently unemployed and have not had income in the past month. If I'm understanding you correctly, I wouldn't be able to find out whether I'd be eligible for a public defender until the court date?
Download the form I wrote above. It has all the things you need to have to justify your status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">