• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Young man caught in reverse sting by dea - minor player faces 30-50 years - help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prayers

I was arrested last year as a part of a major North American drug smugling operation by the DEA. Turns out It was a year long undercover sting operation and I happend to be there the day they dropped the net. When I was arrested I agreed to an interview or "profer" with the U.S. Attorney and DEA agents and told them everything I knew. The only "overt act" I did was to hand carry 10-15 parcels of cocaine from the port and load them into a van. Before I signed this "statement" that they typed up for me they promised that I would be charged with a bill of information and would likely get a felony drug conviction and some halfway house time. Shortly before Probation's pre-sentence investigation started my "public defender" informed me that I am being Indicted for the whole conspiracy and was put under house arrest with ankle monitor. Now I am about a month away from my sentencing with the other 10 co-conspirators and I don't know what to do. I am told that my base level offence is the same as the ring leader and how can that be? I may get a 5k:1 reduction for "substancial assistance" and a reduction for being a "minor player". Probation tells me that I am looking at at least 30 years in the United States Penitentary and that is with 15% off for good behavior. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I am only 20 years old feel that my life has been destroyed.

P

commentator

Maybe you can get your father to do some major case making for you to try and get you off....no, wait, wasn't that the plot of a very recent movie?

HomeGuru

I was arrested last year as a part of a major North American drug smugling operation by the DEA. Turns out It was a year long undercover sting operation and I happend to be there the day they dropped the net. When I was arrested I agreed to an interview or "profer" with the U.S. Attorney and DEA agents and told them everything I knew. The only "overt act" I did was to hand carry 10-15 parcels of cocaine from the port and load them into a van. Before I signed this "statement" that they typed up for me they promised that I would be charged with a bill of information and would likely get a felony drug conviction and some halfway house time. Shortly before Probation's pre-sentence investigation started my "public defender" informed me that I am being Indicted for the whole conspiracy and was put under house arrest with ankle monitor. Now I am about a month away from my sentencing with the other 10 co-conspirators and I don't know what to do. I am told that my base level offence is the same as the ring leader and how can that be? I may get a 5k:1 reduction for "substancial assistance" and a reduction for being a "minor player". Probation tells me that I am looking at at least 30 years in the United States Penitentary and that is with 15% off for good behavior. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I am only 20 years old feel that my life has been destroyed.

P
**A: only overt act? Here is my advice; hire the best criminal defense attorney you can.

prayers

I am not sure if you guys are taking this seriously. It is too late as we are in the sentencing phase. My public defender wants me to rat everyone I know out but the problem is I was a good kid and I do not know any other illegal things that are going on.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Good kids do not hand carry cocaine from the port to the van.

Try again.

HomeGuru

I am not sure if you guys are taking this seriously. It is too late as we are in the sentencing phase. My public defender wants me to rat everyone I know out but the problem is I was a good kid and I do not know any other illegal things that are going on.
**A: it is never too late to hire an attorney. I guess you can't be a rat then but will suffer like one in the Federal pen.

prayers

You senior members are acting like the agents and the prosecuter. Thought this site was to help. I made a mistake and I don't feel like I deserve 30 years

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And you think a message board can do...what...that your attorney cannot, to change your sentence?

justalayman

you are already in the sentencing phase which means you were either tried and found guilty or plead guilty. Unless there is something worth of appeal so you can get a new trial, there isn't a lot you can do about anything at this point. The court has no real incentive to reduce your penalty to get you to plead to anything. The only opportunity I can see is if you rat out somebody as they want, the DA can recommend a reduced sentence although a court isn't bound by that recommendation in most situations.

I am only 20 years old feel that my life has been destroyed.
and you would be right.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As someone just said to me about another post, must be a quiet night under the bridge.

Kid, on the off chance that this post is for real, you're screwed. Next time don't play around with drug rings.

But I am not a betting woman, and I would put money on this being a troll.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Wouldn't even be the first tonight. They've got a dilly over in Family Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">